1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CRV vs. RAV4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

In my last car purchase, I made the mistake of not doing as much homework as I should. I made the mistake of not taking a couple days before purchasing. I let the dealer dictate the deal, when I should have backed away. And because of that, I got into a car on a cold December afternoon. Three months later, I realized it didn't have air conditioning.

First, I asked myself, "Who the fuck makes a 2005 without A/C?" Mazda does, that's who. My heart sank. How could I have done this? I had researched cars and car values and the CR best buys for four months leading up to that purchase. But this Mazda 3 came out of no where. I wasn't prepared.

"Damn it," I said. "This outta be fun. Black car, 100-degree, 95-percent-humidity weather in July and August. Good times." I convinced myself we'd only have three weeks of unbearable heat. I could deal with three weeks.

We had more than three weeks of unbearable heat. So I told myself, while my 6-foot-1 frame dripped profusely in sweat in that black Mazda 3 one summer afternoon, I would look the last week of 2007 to find a vehicle. They say that's a good time to buy. This time, though, it's on my terms. I do like the Mazda 3. It's a great car with great ratings from CR. But I have a desire to get in something a little bigger. If I find the right deal, I'll look into it. But I'm not going to force the issue.

So for the last few months I've scoured the local dealership ads, websites and lots. A couple weeks ago at the local Honda dealership, the website claimed a 2005 Honda CRV and a 2005 Toyota RAV4. Both are models I've been considering, both are in my price range and both have under 50,000 miles.

I took them for test drives last night. I drove away in the Mazda 3 liking the CRV better. But I visited the local Borders to check out the CR on both cars again. The '05 CRV is the only one in a 6- or 7-year span with a black mark. And it's on the drive train. The CRV does have a 100,000 mile warranty (it currently has 47,000 miles). The RAV4 has no black marks.

That's a lot of background for one question, but ... Anyone have either a CRV or RAV4? What are your experiences?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't drive either, but I have two friends who drive RAV4s. Neither of them particularly like their cars, they're just transportation to them. But I can't think of them telling me about any major problems they've had. Both were bought used. One has had it for three years, the other for longer (I'm not sure how long).

Oh, and it's a chick car. They're both girls. :p

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Am I gonna have to put you on blast? :D

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Only if you provide SCOOPS! to the board first.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I'm too busy make a YouTube video about chick trucks.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think Toyota's Highlander is closer to a CR-V than the RAV4.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I drove a Highlander while in Colorado a week ago. That's a quality truck.

Interesting you'd say that. Now that I think about it, the CRV did have a similar size to the Highlander.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You cannot go wrong with Honda or Toyota.

I would look at getting it from CarMax if you have one semi-close to you.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had a CRV for 7 years and am really sorry I got rid of it (It was a '97). It handled really well, I never had any problems with it and it was comfortable and roomy (although I'm only 5'4". And a woman).

So here's one vote for the CRV.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The old RAV4s were kind of cool... Now they look like station wagons...

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Why CarMax? There are a few within a few hours of me. I'm not opposed to driving to get there if it makes that much of a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted