1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crumbs Bake Shop Closing Its Doors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can. It's not hard. But, tradespeople get pretty protective of their "turf".

And, for liability, folks want to use a licensed electrician. I carry the proper receptacle with me, in case the contractor/electrician put in something else (which happens more than you would think).

I also carry a collection of plugs, so I can match the receptacle to the plug if necessary.

I tend to use twist locks, but a dryer cord and plug will work perfectly with a coffee brewer. An espresso machine is 220V throughout, and has no neutral, so it only needs three wires. You could still use a drier outlet and plug by just leaving the neutral blank, and I've done this in some cases, but we normally use a three wire receptacle.

I could go into the NEMA codes if Devil would like. I know them better than most electricians.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is YF the guy who always gets the hot and cold spouts backward?

Please refer to the manual. It has pictures. Thanks.

3. YankeeFan

The shower in my last place was like that. I had to remember to tell guests, otherwise they would be standing there forever waiting for the water to get hot.

Fortunately, all of the equipment I work on runs strictly off of cold water (though, I will occasionally find a machine that was "installed" by someone else that is hooked up to hot water).

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your machines have three lines,
    don't they? Hot, Cold and Narrative.

Damn thing is, you can't shut off the Narrative. :D

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Do you wash the bottles? Otherwise that's completely unsanitary.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are plugging it in. That is different than "installing."

If I have a business that wants a machine where there is not outlet or water/sewer lines, you need to call someone to do it. Now, if you shop has a licensed electrician and a licensed plumber on staff, then you you can say your company installs it.

You berate journalists left and right about accuracy, but you do not install. You deliver and set up. Any damage you do electrical wise when you plug the machine in probably would not be covered by the business's insurance since you do not carry a license. Not saying that you don't know about throwing a breaker in a panel box since a line was overloaded, but when you said installed, it sounded like you had some tradesmen on staff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

7. YankeeFan

LOL. You don't know when to stop digging, do you?

So, who installed the machine? The electrician, or the plumber, neither of whom ever see the machine?

You don't think I measure the voltage with a voltmeter, and check the breaker panel to make sure it's on a dedicated, 30AMP breaker?

Do you think I don't carry business insurance, which covers the work I do?

I'm pretty secure in using the term "install" for what I do, since it encompasses more than just plugging it in.

But, I'll leave it to the collective wisdom of the board -- made up of journalists and former journalists, who are surely better wordsmiths than I.

So who's right here, me, or Devil?

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I always wash the bottles.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who gives a shit? Stop cluttering up the board with your petty, stupid arguments. Stop stalking people around the board. Stop with the gotcha garbage. We get it. We all know what you do for a living, and what you did for a living before that, and before that, and before that, and before that. And we all know that journalists are hypocritical, contradictory liars. Please, just shut the hell up.

Jesus. You're the reason people keep leaving this place in droves. You and the handful of people who help you turn every thread into the same stupid crap. This was a thread about cupcakes, for God's sake, and now you've turned into YF vs. 93Devil, round who's even counting.

10. YankeeFan

Ouch. I'm stung.

I can't believe I ruined a thread about cupcakes. I hope it doesn't send anyone fleeing.

But, if Devil continues to ask for more rope, I'm going to give it to him. I was simply talking about Crumbs when Devil tried to find a "gotcha" in my post.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

CNBC reported a little while ago that Marcus Lemonis (entrepreneur, owner of Camping World, TV show "The Profit") is part of a partnership group in talks to buy the chain. The idea is to capitalize on the name and branch out from just cupcakes into more of a true bakery.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He thinks he can buy it... for crumbs.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted