1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crumbs Bake Shop Closing Its Doors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Now they can spend more on overpriced coffee and bottled water.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The only times I ever went to Starbucks or expensive coffee shops were when I was traveling for work and not paying or when I was dating, which thankfully, was well over a decade ago. I'm a coffee fanatic, but I either make my own or go to McDonalds or a 7-11 type store where the price is reasonable.

The bottled water thing is funny. I like bottled water for convenience, so I usually buy a 24-pack of Aquafina every three months or so and then after the water is done just fill the bottles up with the filtered water from our fridge. I've lost track of times people have come over and grabbed one and they have no idea that they're basically drinking tap water.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How rude. Guests just open your fridge and grab a beverage? Serves em right
    to get tap water in a bottle.

4. RecoveringJournalist

It's usually in-laws, so it's not a big deal.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me it's a real sign of disrespect. ;)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why are we hating on expensive coffee! This is a thread for hating on expensive cupcakes. (Personally, I think fancy donuts are better than fancy cupcakes.)

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are your machines plug in or are they hard wired? I didn't know you were a licensed electrician. You never mentioned that before.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I'm surprised the coffee shops have rebounded a bit since the recession. We saw a bunch of Starbucks around here close about 4-5 years ago, but we've seen several new ones open in the last year or two.

9. YankeeFan

What post of mine are you referring to?

The machines I work on most come with a plug attached. In fact, a couple of years ago, they made it a molded plug, so you couldn't remove it without cutting it off.

220V coffee brewers do not come with a cord or plug. I work with the electrician/contractor to make sure he installs a receptacle that will match the plug I have on the brewer.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You said you installed two machines. To me, installed means wiring, which is what happened, but your company subs out the installations.

11. Why would anyone assume YF would install outlets? Not saying he can't, but that's a whole other trade that has extensive requirements. I assume connecting a plug to a brewer is similar to connecting a dryer cord. Just don't mix up the colors.

12. YankeeFan

Good God, you are so dumb, and so out of your depth.

I don't sub out the installation.

The machine is shipped to me in a crate. I unpack it, and bench test it here.

Then I take it to the site, where I install a water filter, and run a water line from the shut-off to the filter, and then on to the machine. I run the drain line. And, I plug it in.

Running the water, electrical, and drain lines often requires drilling holes through counter tops, cabinets, and/or floor boards.

Once I've installed and flushed the water filter, I calibrate the espresso machine with the clients beans to their exact specifications. Then I train the management and staff on the usage of the machine.

And electrician, or other craftsman, never touches the machine.

If we're talking about a 220V coffee brewer, I put on the cord and plug. Again, no other tradesman touches the machine.

An electrician puts in the electrical (as they do for all the equipment), a plumber installs the plumbing (as they do for all of the equipment), and a carpenter installs the cabinetry (as they do for all the equipment).

I install the espresso machine.

I know you're dying to catch me in some lie or exaggeration, but that's going to be tough for you, since I'm happy to describe what I do in detail.

You can keep trying, but you are going to continue to make a fool out of yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted