1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crumbs Bake Shop Closing Its Doors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Co-signed.

2. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

They were amazing cupcakes, but, yes, expensive. Not sure how a cupcake can be too large.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The one time I had Crumbs (could have been an off-day), it was an OK cupcake topped with several inches of icing. Tough to eat and tasted like one big mound of overpriced sugar. I've never gone back and never felt I was missing anything.

I'm more interested in the pending sale of the Portillo's restaurant group for $1 billion, with the hint of expansion in the air. If they can keep the same quality they have in Chicago and radically expand their footprint, that could be a game-changer. And seeing how much their average site does in sales annually, compared to similar restaurants, $1 billion could be a bargain.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Georgetown Cupcake in DC isn't quite that expensive, but at $3 apiece, it ain't cheap. Yet, it looks like this all the time:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Portillo's chocolate cake > cupcakes.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Definitely. As well as the chocolate cake shake.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Another pie guy here.

I've never been that big on cakes, including cupcakes. But once or twice a year when I'm at the local bakery for a morning doughnut, I pick up a cupcake for later in the day. I think it cost 80 cents the last time I bought one. I don't get these cupcake shops.

Does anyone else have a Gigi's Cupcakes around? They seem to be popping up everywhere. There's been one near where I work for a couple years, but I've never been there.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Cupcake chains probably get pinched on both ends, by supermarkets and larger bakeries that offer more menu items, as well as mom-and-pop places that got in on the ground floor of the craze. As such, there was never an overarching national chain akin to Cinnabon for cinnamon rolls, though it seems like they're more interested in leveraging their brand in other products, like cereal and vodka.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

To compete these days in the gourmet cupcake business, a place also has to provide scoops on NBA free agency.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's one near me. The cupcakes are pretty good. I think they cost $3.50 apiece, or three for $10. It's expensive, but a good little treat on occasion like an ice cream cone.
    Gigi's also has different cakes every day, which might help their business model. You can't just walk in and get a strawberry cupcake. They only make those on Tuesdays. Chocolate is only on Thursday. And so on. They also have seasonal menus to keep things fresh.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A repeat of the Krispy Kreme story.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We have a "Cupcake Wars" winner in town and my God those women think they are King Queen Shit.
    My wife and I go there every once in a while, but it's not worth the hype really.

Draft saved Draft deleted