1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cruises

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by taller hack, Aug 30, 2007.

1. taller hack

taller hack Member

I don't post much but people here always give honest advice about a wide variety of topics. I want to take the wife on a cruise because she's always wanted to go. I, however, know next to nothing about them, so what are the best lines, times, ways to save money, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You have to let us know where you want the cruise to be and then we can start giving specific advice.

Is it a Bahamas cruise, a Carribean Cruise, an Alaskan cruise, a Mediterrian cruise, etc. ?

Once we establish where the cruise is going to take place and where you live, I can start giving some advice.

3. KG

KG Active Member

If you need a passport you need to get on the ball with ordering them. If you're not concerned about it being the peak time (May/June) the November cruises are dirt cheap. A friend of mine went on one last November, buying the tickets last minute for $175 for a four day cruise.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Mediterrian, QEII, windjammer all have their appeal, depending on your tastes. Just don't go cheap with a three-day, lower-deck Carnival Line debacle if you can avoid it.

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I did a three-day, lower-deck Carnival debacle and loved it. Won a couple hundred dollars playing three card poker. Hit the buffet. Good times.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When you walk up the gangway, yell, as loudly as possible, "We goin' to da ship! We goin' to da ship!"

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My advice: spend the extra money if you can to get the all-inclusive package; i.e., food, tours, excursions, airfare, accommodations, etc.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I did a lower level four day cruise on Carnival and had a great time. We really just used the room for sleeping and showering.

My one bit of advice is: If you smoke cigars, buy a Cuban. Maybe it was the relaxed mood of the boat, but damn was that cigar tasty.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

If you want to party non-stop -- and don't mind hearing others doing the same -- go Carnival.

If you want something classic and traditional, go Holland American or Princess.

If you want to do whatever, whenever, go Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Our last cruise was NCL from Boston to Bermuda. It was like cruising on a Holiday Inn. Everything was nice, nothing was too fancy, and the price was good (worked out to $100 per person per day). PM me if you want any specifics.

There's a good Web site I looked at for information before booking last time: www.cruisecritic.com

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I just applied for my passport this week. It's taking almost 3 months to get them back to people, according to the woman at the passport office. FYI.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tom and Penelope Cruise-Cruz.

Draft saved Draft deleted