1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crowdfunding your way to a sports writing gig

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Mar 27, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And I wonder when it will go from being a novel idea to being professionally shameful (not resume' worthy too).

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know that it would be professionally shameful if you can get enough people that way to pay for your to write about a team or sport.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pre-GoFundMe, Mark Zuckerman did it for a season with the Nationals after he was laid off by the Washington Times. Many were skeptical about it ... and then he was hired by CSN.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Maria and RickStain like this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Zuckerman, but yeah.

And this was seven years ago, so it isn't exactly a novel idea. Others have done it between then and now.

Mark now covers the Nats for MASN. Pretty sure CSN did away with their Nats (and I think Caps) beat person. Which boggles my mind but that's another story

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah. Fail on my end. I knew that. And I fixed it.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Zero worries, just didn't want anyone thinking it was the Facebook guy.

That year he crowdsourced and stayed on the beat was, I believe, his 10th year in BBWAA and got him his Hall of Fame vote. He's very good, very knowledgable. When I'm slammed and don't have time to read all the Nats coverage, he's the one person I go to regularly.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

CSN New England dumped Sean McAdam as its Red Sox beat writer at the end of last year. He covered only half of road games last year and expected to do even fewer games this year. Are the cutbacks a Comcast thing?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Comcast seems to be going more toward talking heads-style programming at its RSNs, de-emphasizing news. New England's prime-time programming as of next month looks like it'll be First Take-lite.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I applaud Jeff's innovative idea for trying to remain in the business. However, there are a few issues I see, some he can control and others he cannot. First, let's talk expenses. He's now in Albuquerque, N.M. My average expense report for a race weekend from a major hub, Atlanta, ran somewhere around $1,250 for flight, car rental, hotel and food for races to which I couldn't drive. From here, I'm within a day's drive of everywhere from Daytona to Richmond, or pretty close to half of the schedule.

Gluck can get to Phoenix and perhaps Texas without flying. So you're talking about expenses of $50,000 minimum per season before you even start to think about putting anything in your own pocket, even with frequent flier miles and hotel points.

If I'm a potential reader/purchaser, how is he going to offer a unique "insider's report" that someone will pay for AND RENEW when he's 2,000 miles from where the stories are happening -- back in the team shops in the greater Charlotte area? You'd have to be pretty damn connected. Maybe Jeff is, but there are a lot of other folks still pounding the same beat, but they're right where the action's happening. Bob Pockrass, Lee Spencer, Brant James, etc. can bang on doors and ask questions and attend news conferences in person. There aren't the numbers there used to be in the media center, but the people still hanging on aren't going to want to lose customers to you.

And perhaps the biggest issue: the audience that gives a damn about your niche sport is rapidly shrinking. NASCAR's issues have been discussed in detail in other threads, but the sport's decline shows no signs of slowing, even as the front office continues to meddle with the product. Sponsorship is drying up for even the biggest teams. The latest NASCAR TV ratings show another double-digit decrease in viewership. There's no Gordon, no Stewart, nobody to move the needle. Nobody gives a damn about Kyle Larson or Daniel Suarez.

So your costs are going up while your potential revenue is drying up. I'm not saying you can't find that one person willing to foot the bill because they desperately want to read everything you write, but the chances of finding said cash cow is like trying to put an NFL team in Las Vegas. Or something like that.

You're going to be busting your butt with odds decidedly against you. But obviously some niches are working. I just don't think NASCAR commands that kind of audience any more.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff, @maumann . I think the decline of NASCAR media numbers helps Jeff -- there aren't many regular reporters left and a percentage of those are homers. He doesn't appear afraid to say if something stinks out there. And his interactive-ness (interactivity?) is very strong. He has a massive twitter following, which is pretty much a prerequisite for getting something like this off the ground.

But you hit the key word -- renew. The second year is the mark of whether this works. In the first year you'll get money from family, friends and some colleagues, but most of that will fade away. Gotta get the paying readers coming back. I think he will, though like you said it might never be a very profitable enterprise. Which maybe isn't even at the top of his mind right now. He's staying in the biz, which is a feat in itself.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

All that seems to matter anymore is that your "brand" (ugh) remains relevant, and a good avenue to doing so is to still have your work out there -- even on a low-rent site like Bleacher Report.

What is Patreon's subscription model? Assuming it's a permanently recurring monthly payment, that makes it less likely people will cancel after a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted