1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossing the line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 24, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Good point.

After getting through the "he's just a local" jabs, I forgot that he was actually the sports director.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't even matter if he was a part-time reporter. The talent and station still looks like its shilling for the home team.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I posted this on another thread, but I was told that one of the local TV stations in Fayetteville had the reporters covering the presser announcing the Altman hiring lead the crowd in the Hog cheer.
    Thoughts?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sad. But not the least bit surprised.

I guess some program directors believe they'll get higher ratings by pimping Big U., ethics or journalism be damned.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Conversely, I've seen some small papers here in Wisconsin where the guys wear the local team colors (usually green and gold) out to cover games -- there is nothing worse than a sportswriter from the local-yokel on the sidelines at a ballgame in a Favre jersey. :p

6. Hell, the Fox station in Upstate South Carolina hired Tommy Bowden's daughter as a sideline reporter ... how's that for sucking up to Clemson ... course y'all probably knew that considering there were naked photos of her circulating until daddy's attorney sent a cease and desist letter ...

[​IMG]

7. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Two tales from here in the Upper Midwest:

1) A Minneapolis TV station suspended a female sports reporter who celebrated in the locker room after the Twins won a playoff series-- and in the celebration, the words "like a wet T-shirt contest" have been used in print.

2) The cable channel showing Gophers hockey games hired the daughter of the head coach to do interviews -- primarily of the coaching staff -- for part of this season. This came after a one of the sports talk radio station hosts who was doing the job was suspended for yelling at the refs in between periods (and off camera) during one game this season.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Someone sent me an email saying that a Knoxville, TN station had all its on-set anchors don UT Lady Vols championship shirts "off the presses" tonight on the live 11 PM news....Including the sports anchor

Apparently the station is selling them through their online store....

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There were?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

1) Hmmm, anyone we know of and can used the words Scott Erickson and Hummer in the same sentence?
    2) I saw her during the season... she was brutal...awkward... stiff...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm... wow.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

War Bald Eagle
    and the link on the page is NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Draft saved Draft deleted