1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossing the line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

Local television is NOT--I repeat, NOT--journalism. It's a bunch of girls who spend more time applying makeup in the news van than actually reporting and guys who look like they crawled out from a sewer sticking a camera in people's faces for inane comments like, "I can't believe this happened in our neighborhood."

As for the local sports guys, they're nothing more than glorified cheerleaders trying to stroke the pleasure nerve of their team's enduring fans. Whenever real news hits, it is always: The (insert your newspaper here) reports..."

None of it is acceptable, but it'll never change. Once we all realize that local TV is a sham, getting on with our jobs becomes much easier. ;D

2. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Agreed. The local sports guy here puts a camera on the game at hand, gets the final score and rehashes the games on-air.
    Must be nice not ever having to talk to anyone associated with the teams...

3. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

Where I'm from, the TV guys are all over the message boards, too, pimping their act.

4. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Happens all the time--I've seen TV reporters (sports guys) who have covered the Patriots wearing Patriots gear in the locker room. But the worst is the Red Sox--TV talking heads around these parts who are sent to anchor coverage on the road (the 2004 World Series was the best example) are almost always wearing Red Sox caps and jackets on air. More than a few TV people also took time out of their busy schedules to pose with the trophy after the Series was done. Ugh.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Guy near me will wear high school colors with logos to high school events ... usually state finals. Otherwise, it's the colors of the big U down the road.

I also feel obligated to mention this. I worked in TV for about nine months. The journalism was painfully bad. But the actual people weren't bad. I have no problem getting a beer with most of them, we just can't talk journalism.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The ultimate in bandwagon boys -- first to jump on, first to jump off...

7. boots

boots New Member

Remember, it's TV. It's fantasy, not reality.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I suspect you'll be reading a book Lugnuts' foot wrote. It's called "On The Road to In Your Ass".

9. KG

KG Active Member

I'm not saying it was or wasn't ok in my opinion, but it did make me think of something.

If his station was there covering it, but he wasn't working for them that night, then isn't that kind of like hiring an off-duty police officer to direct traffic?

When you see police officers directing traffic at say churches on Sunday, or most sporting events for that matter, they are off duty. They are privately hired by the place benefitting from the traffic control to use their training and their "face" with the public to assist.

Maybe this guy was hired because of his speaking abilities and knowledge to entertain.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perception is everything.
    The general public doesn't view him as not working. They see him waving pompons for the home team.
    Doesnt matter that he isn't working.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And by credibility, you mean...???

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

But there is still a problem, Kathy, because he is the face of the station. I know police officers do off-duty work providing security, but if they wear their uniform with the city or county they work for, that gives the impression that it is a government function. What does the police officer do if their employer violates the law?

With the television person, he is the face of the station and if it looks like they are doing promotion for the college, the news department has zero credibility. I know a lot of people dismiss television news, but the fact is the potential to have an impact is greater in television than in print. When you give away the potential for credibility, you have nothing left.

Draft saved Draft deleted