1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossing the line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sports director of TV station in Division I-A market wears the local college's colors (with logo) on the field during spring football game and does interviews with coach and former players for the big screens on the scoreboard during breaks.

Not for his station, which I should say did cover the game.

For the crowd, with the approval of the university.

There is a sort of what-up-dog vibe to his vocabulary during these "interviews." The whole thing feels like take-on-Orbitz meets spring football practice.

Is there any part of this that is acceptable?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. But I'm curious as to whether there's a little money in it for him from the school.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Don't know, but his station does the coaches shows.

4. Sam Mills 51

My suggestion is all I got. Otherwise, the sports director is waaay too deep.

I had a chippy high school coach once bark that I was wearing the school his son was opposing at a college football assignment. No logos or such, though. I wear a lot more black now, so I guess no Wake Forest or South Carolina or Vanderbilt for me. ::)

5. Johnny Dangerously

Oh, he's way too deep.

Interviewing a certain well known coach of a women's basketball powerhouse after a game, he was wearing a school-distributed T-shirt that said something to the effect of "Beat the (Women's Basketball Powerhouse)."

6. Sam Mills 51

Good grief. The scary part is he's destroying his credibility. Scarier still, he's probably scoring enough points with Hometown U. that it won't matter much.

Sheesh.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Did you mean, "What-up-dawg...?"
    If so, I get it now. ;)

8. Johnny Dangerously

Yes, but when said white-bread, jock-sniffing wannabe anchorman haircut says it, it's dog.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You have to be in SEC country.
    In my neck of the woods, the reporters and anchors wear team logo shirts for live shots, refer to the team as "we" and generally act like fanboys gone wild.
    I asked one of the reporters about it and he said that he was acting under orders from the station manager and that he wasn't given a choice.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, they get paid to lick nuts in your neck of the woods?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shut up... .TV geeks acting like FANBOYS? I call bullshit...

And it isn't limited to the SEC... This thing goes on all over...all the way back to the Federal League

[​IMG]

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

you hear of shit like that all the time in thiis business. I wonder if the person simply has no integrity or just doesn't know any better.

Draft saved Draft deleted