1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossfit Games to award guns to first-place finishers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They better start cracking down on athletic booster clubs, then. In rural areas, it's not uncommon for high schools to raffle off hunting rifles for a fundraiser.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting there be a crack down, just pointing out that in some states what he's doing is technically illegal.

I've been involved in some raffles with the local DU chapter. We used to get a gun shop to donate the shotgun, hold it for us and then deal directly with the winner of the raffle. The chapter itself never actually took possession of it. Perhaps that's what Crossfit dude is doing.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

More than likely. I've got to imagine a large organization like that has enough lawyers to make sure this is done by the numbers.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well the final contest in some Crossfit competitions is the lawyer obstacle course.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. rascalface

rascalface Member

I mean, I guess people could quit their gym, but I don't know what that would prove. CrossFit gyms are independently owned affiliates that basically pay to use the name and methodology. So that would harm the local business owner and have no impact on CrossFit HQ.

I've been a member of a few CrossFit boxes over the last six years, and I find none of this surprising in the least. I've also heard a grand total of zero people complain about it.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Among the many annoying things about Crossfitters is calling a gym a "box."

8. Smallpotatoes

Though I don't agree with CrossFit's politics, I can understand this.
    The people who own the gyms are small business owners. A significant portion of the people who train at those gyms are current and former service members and police. Those groups are typically right-leaning.
    That's CrossFit's core market, so why not appeal to them.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Those gyms are paying money directly to an organization that awards semiautomatic pistols as championship prizes. The people who do not agree that guns are an appropriate prize decide to take their money elsewhere, to an organization where their membership dues do not go toward promoting gun ownership.

If enough of them do it to harm the local gyms, CrossFit HQ will feel the effects. And if only a few people do it, the local gym is no worse off and the former members at least feel better that their money does not go toward purchasing prize pistols. Makes sense to me.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was having to successfully make your way through a crowd of 100 other Crossfitters trying to tell you how great Crossfit is.

Oggiedoggie and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

While extolling the virtues of Paleo protein powder, which is just like what the cavemen used.

Batman likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's the advantage of a local gym being affiliated with Crossfit - aside from branding? WODs aren't secret. We use Mountain Athlete for programming at my gym. Same thing as Crossfit, but with more rucking.

Draft saved Draft deleted