1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossed Giblets of Death: The SJ Thanksgiving Family Therapy Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

For those of us without family within 300 miles, it's going to be a fun weekend around here.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i think i heart you. your thanksgiving posts are classics. we may have the same mother, dear.

mine's coming tomorrow with dad. so's my sister, her hubby and 2 kids. my cousin and wife -- who are wayyyy cool-- and their son, plus our fam of five. of course, when it's my family coming, it makes mrs. shockey a bit, um, tense.

thank goodness for the super-sized bottle of pinot grigio she bought today. she'll be sucking on that straw all day, counting the minutes 'til we give 'em all the boot so we can settle in for "grey's anatomy." no nfl network here -- thanks, cablevision!

3. Waldo missed Trigger, his faithful Jack Russell, gone now these six months. He'd sent Trigger on a mission of mercy for Greta, who had come to the pool to sunbathe, but who had begun to yell, "gott in himmel!" at perfect strangers. Trigger ran to the nearby apothecary, took the items in his mouth and was running back, when he tripped over a schoolteacher from Leeds and fell, gagging to the ground, dead of choking.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They're welcome to, and they have in the past. It's just that the men always find a way to turn it into a competition. This particular group of females wants no part of that. They'd rather talk about us behind our backs. All in a loving way of course. Last year, they brought in this girl from down the road who was a competition shooter. I ended up on the team opposite hers. It was not pretty. If the women had been playing spades instead of a board game, I'd have gone inside.

BTW, outing alert! 21 is Janet Evanovich! Or at least, the inspiration for the main character in the numbered novels.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are some of us who chose to work the holiday, rather than spend the day with our alcoholic families...

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Will work in the morning, then spend the day with alcoholic friends (no family, this year . . . first time, in forever . . . isolated exception to established rule) . . .

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats... it's not even midnight yet and you win.... Gore concedes Florida...

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All families are alcoholics, some just more than others. :)

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What Jean Shepherd did for Xmas, 21 has done for Tkgvg.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I am fortunate to have the family members here at our house. They arrived at 9 AM this (Wednesday) morning. They say they are not going home until Friday. I am running out of places to hide and it's not even Thanksgiving yet. I tried claiming that I had to work, but since I have a radio show, I figured that lie would get found out pretty quickly.

And Fenian, I eagerly await the next chapter.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My family is of Irish descent. We just consider the thirst a part of our cultural heritage.
    An important part.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When we visited my mom (RIP), first words out were, "Hi dear". Second, "Do you think we should have a drink?"

Scottish/Irish/English background doesn't hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted