1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

crossed giblets of death, 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Boy what a day.

Finished 40 inch Sunday centerpiece that they wanted today. Then went shopping with my mom, who proceeded to lose her phone at Target only to find out it was under the seat (and on silent) in the car when we got back from looking for it. Spilled Starbucks in said car. Ran around like morons completing shopping.

Get home, check sister's flight that's set to arrive at 10 p.m., see it's on time, head to airport in descending ominous fog. At airport, find out sister's flight has been diverted 150 miles away to another state because of said fog. Mother freaks out, contemplates driving round trip to get her. Uh, no. Bad idea. Airline says they'll bring a bus to take all the passengers to destination city but it won't get there until 1 a.m. at the earliest. and to my city until around 4 a.m. Sister can't score a rental car at the first place after they run out but hitches a ride with a family who's going to the city just south of mine. Arrives at 2 a.m.

Meanwhile, making tomorrow's desserts. My chocolate mousse goes fine, but my mom's cat decides he wants a taste of the cooling key lime pie. Rescue it the first time, he dumps it on the floor the second, so she heads out at 12:30 a.m. to buy more ingredients from the nearest Wal-Mart and makes it again. Pie comes out of the oven about when my sister gets home.

Everyone is asleep in my living room now, sans the three cats who are raising 13 levels of hell because they apparently didn't get enough excitement. I'm about to pass out for 6 hours to get up in time to watch the parade.

TL;DR: Long days are long.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My family has been awake for one hour, and we've all already screamed at each other about 12 times. Staying home alone and eating frozen pizza looks really good right now.

I hate family holidays.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My Thanksgiving in a nutshell: National Football Holiday.

Making a buffalo chicken dip to nosh on during the day ... lots of Bud heavy chilling in the fridge. ... NHL 12 on the PS3 ... Last Thursday's TV still on the DVR ... two pretty damn good day games ... friends at the bar for the night game.

"Can't wait" -- Bart Scott

Girlfriend is working so we're doing a big thing with her mom tomorrow, but today is like the ultimate man spa day. Crucial.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

We drove eight hours yesterday to enjoy the holidays with my family - I think there will be 19 for turkey this evening.
    My parents made the drive from six hours away, bringing the already-opened magnum of Yellow Tail along for the ride. Because, of course, it makes perfect sense to drive cheap opened wine across three states. And even though we had better options, my father finished off the Yellow Tail.

In a related note: my head hurts.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ms. SixToe made sausage and sausage ball/clod/biscuit things this morning.

That is akin to Obama calling Gingrich for campaign advice. Never. Happens. Ever.

This should be an interesting day. One hour until liftoff for the first family dinner.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Heading to lunch at my sister's place soon. Gotta eat dinner there early because my grandparents don't like to drive at night. This works out just fine. Then it's an hour and some long drive to my girlfriend's extended family. Last time I hung with them, I was in a hotel lobby drinking scotch on the rocks with her uncle Gene in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. Coolers and bottles were just scattered around the place.

My ONLY concern. My sister isn't exactly big on over the air TV. She better figure out how to get that damn Lions/Packers game on.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am sick as a dog with some sort of flu and we have to go to a restaurant 45 minutes away with my sister-in-law and her family. I hate not being in someone's home, but no one will host except us and we really couldn't host 25 people this year with our schedules. My mother-in-law just backed out because she doesn't want me to get her sick and there are no TVs where we are going. Good times.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So what are you saying? You have a perfectly good excuse to stay home on your couch, and you're still going out?? Can I come breath your germs so I can use your excuse??

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

okay, three stooges have been given their marching orders by their mom -- someone walks the dog FOR REAL ('til he poops); cleans rooms; bring in extra chairs from the garge; help your (dsabled) father get ready, blah blah blah.

then she calls out to me: 'could you call your mother and ask her to bring pepper? we've run ouut.'

yes, ma'm. right away. so i call the brooklyn apartment in which i grew up, only to have dad saymom's in the shower.

no prob, i think. 'could you just ask her to bring pepper with her? we're out.'

now, dad, bless him, is 82 and worthless in these situations. as mom has shouted at 'his helplessness' for years, 'marty, make believe you live here.'

so he hems and haws and finally says, 'um, i'll have your mother call you back.'

okay. 10 minutes later, the phone rings. it's mom.

'well, dear, does she need a shaker or a container like you buy in the store? is it for cooking or for the table?'

now, it's my turn to play my father's son, knowing whatever i say is sure to be the wrong thing. so i ask mrs. shockey. 'just the shaker. everything being cooked has what it needs.'

i tell mom. no prob.

phone rings. 'hi, dear, it's me again,' mom says. 'tell mrs. shockey i'll bring all the pepper i have, just in case.'

'no, mom, that's not necessary. a shaker will be just fine.'

'well, jut in case, dear,' mom says. 'you don't want to be caught without pepper on thanksgiving.'

heaven forbid! whatever. we can never have enough pepper, i guess.

yea, the football game has begun! santuary until the next call...ay

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Handful of family here already, more on the way. Warms my hillbilly heart.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W will not let me. I believe the phrase was "if ihave to see your crazy family, no excuses short of death"

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that doesn't work either. Three days after Lou's funeral, my mother is still insisting we have Thanksgiving. After week of nothing but shiva deli trays and stale coffee cake, is it so much to ask for some sushi and maybe a salad??

Draft saved Draft deleted