1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

crossed giblets of death, 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Stressing me out, shockey...#toosoon

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I told this story last year, but here goes...

Several years ago, my sister-in-law brought her then-boyfriend, now husband to dinner for the first time. He's a good guy, kind of shy, doesn't say a whole lot.

Right before we start to eat he says, "In my family we go around the table and stand up and say something we're thankful for..."

My father-in-law looks him square in the eye and says, "Yeah, we're not going to do that..."

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Long-suffering wife and I will have two Thanksgivings this year. On Thursday, #2 son and his new bride will dine with bride's parents at their house in another town. We will go to a neighbor's house where there is a "traditional orphan's Thanksgiving dinner" for folks with no family in town - - or within easy reach.

On Friday #2 son and bride will join long-suffering wife and I at our weekend "retreat" in central Pennsylvania. Last year, we did something different with the turkey and it turned out to be outstanding. So we will do it again this year. [BTW, #2 son is a chef and he says it is the best turkey he has ever had.]

The turkey is brined in a solution that includes apple juice, herbs and a little bourbon overnight. (We'll do that Friday night.) Then on Saturday it goes in a smoker and gets smoked for about 3 hours until done (13-14 lb bird).

Looking forward to this...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Going to two dinners this year, after working in the morning. First dinner is with my family. Second dinner will be with my girlfriend's family. If I were with the ghosts of girlfriends past, I'd be way worried. But this one, she's convinced her extended family is going to insist on me drinking heavily with the rest of the family. She's even driving the 90 minutes or so it'll take to get there. This could work out!

5. The Creosote brothers after an Awesome Thanksgiving!

NSFW

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/tag/siamese-twins/

6. Taking my kids to my parents this weekend - w/o my wife. She has to work.
    I'm working all week - first time in almost 20 years I'll miss the the first week of deer season hunting with my dad.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suggest brining with apple cider instead of apple juice...

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

She may be a keeper, Headbutt.

We usually spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family, but have decided to stay home this year. A couple of friends are coming over, one of whom is an sj member.

Think of the rest of us as foreplay, 21.

Have I successfully moved you from stressed out to grossed out? 8)

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Meeting the woman's mother for the first time after nearly three years of dating.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

NEVER. GETS. OLD, MIZZOO ;D ;D ;D

that here is a classic.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

you know that wasn't my intent, darlin',

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Heading to Richmond tonight for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner this weekend (Mexican it is!) with my bitch and my baby.

Coming home on Sunday, only to hop in the car again late that night to begin our travels to Chicago. The baby thing will meet his grandfather (dad's dad) for the first time, so we're pretty excited about that.

We're also stopping in Indy on the way to Chicago and visiting one of my oldest friends and her family. We talk all the time, but I haven't seen her since college -- almost 10 years ago. Crazy. She's married and has busted out a couple of kids in the past three years. Looks like her husband is some sort of dark, twisted artist-type who paints his nails black, so I think we're gonna lock the doors to the guest room. He reminds me of the brother in "Wedding Crashers." I'm hoping for a good story.

Thanksgiving Day will be a feast of firehouses as we visit the bitch's forty brothers, all of whom work for the Chicago Fire Department. Lots of poles.

I love this time of year. I really do.

And, yeah, I love Mizzou's story, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted