1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

crossed giblets of death, 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 17, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

my annual favorite thread on SportsJournalists.com, thanks to the mastery of '21.' and with all the nasty. heavy, dark psu spit dominating the board i thought it good, albeit early, time to kick if off. one week away, i figured, was fair.

we're hosting, per usual, as we do for all family holidays the last several years. it's the one area in which being disable has its advantages. always easy to play the 'home team-advantage card' when you're crippled!

anyhow, it's my side of the family, per usual as well. it'll bw great to have eldest and middle son home for the holiday, since this is the first year we've had two of our three in college. though how much well see of them, other than for the actual dinner, remains to be seen: eldest son plans to spend much of his first turkey weekend as a 21-year bouncing from bar-to-bar in town with his closest friends. they finally don't need fake id's. and middle son plans to bounce around to all the 'reunion' parties many of his buds are having so they can all wear their sweatshirts and trade stories. eager to see if his psu bud wears his nittany lions garb.

but turkey day itself is me favorite holiday, since i actually enjoy our families so much. anyone anticipate any good stories to share? cooking tips? embarrassing/amusing stories of family dysfunction?

y'all know the drill. let it all hang out here. i know we'll start slow but by tuesday it should start heating up as we close in on thawing the birds..

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To kick off the festivities, my wife and I confronted her father about why he needed her paystub on the phone last night.

He ain't getting it, and I think there might be a possibility he will not show for the bird.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My wife's aunt is ill this year. I'm worried.

Who's gonna fix the cold, dry turkey this year?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe you can send it to him?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was trying to take out a loan with her as a co-signer. Our finances will not be wrapped in his finances.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This will be the first year I have not had one family member within a thousand miles of me on Thanksgiving (or my birthday, for that matter), mostly because I have a bunch of work to do that will commence on Friday. I plan to enjoy it. I may even cook dinner (or I may be going to my roommate's family's house for Thanksgiving).

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

so many horror stories regarding families when it comes to money. i'm spoiled, i guess, i just don't get it.

especially this time of year.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I meant the bird...

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We will be four for dinner (me, Alice, son, and sister-in-law who lives in Cambridge), but I'm hoping we can also view the Thanksgiving dinner daughter Hope is making for her European roommates in Lyon, France via Skype. We already sent her some ingredients that don't exist in Europe (cranberry sauce and canned pumpkin pie filling).

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Working until midnight Wednesday, driving home (3 hours), running 10 a.m. Turkey Trot. Drunken siblings may still be up at 3 a.m. Debating whether I should participate.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I enjoy the holiday a hell of a lot more than I used to when I always seemed to be on the road. Of course, without those road trips I never would have gotten to try Turducken or hit the Ruth's Chris buffet on the company dime, but I'd still rather be at home.

We go to my in-laws every Thanksgiving. They're local and they usually put out a hell of a spread. The meal properly revolves around football, which is great because I hate going to places where they serve the foot and then quibble about whether to leave the TV on.

For reasons I'll never know, but never question, the after-school program for my kids is available all day on Friday. That means I can finish bringing up the Christmas trees and the decorations from the basement without worrying about the kids being in the way. It simplifies the process considerably and then they can help put the finishing touches on the tree when they get home.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In that case, I could use a few bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted