1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross country mom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

or, of course, the ginormous prehistoric bird about to swoop down on the runner from behind. That's a pretty good pic.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shi-it, I ran XC for three years and was shocked to see pictures of myself in the cheesy slideshow at the team postseason party, forget the newspaper. Some mother had to wait a darn long time for me to come out of the woods to take those pictures.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

He was the focal point in the picture...the other kids in it are not from my area...hence why I shot it as so

You know how XC meets work, especially when you have 200+ runners...shoot first, ID later. I just happen to get a pic with good color, good lighting, etc...made a good shot out of it.

Of course it just happened to be the kid that momma called about, which ticked me off.

Regardless, I layed out the page already, three pics and three mugs on the front of the kids that made All-State, the best finishers from the other schools on the inside...

Momma's boy doesn't make the cut, maybe the monthly can run him and the other 6 kids from his team that finished before him.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

"You're all winners!"

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here on the second page it would behoove someone to ask if the CC mom in question is hot.

Because that will always influence your decision.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is she a candidate to get picked up by the MILF Cruiser? (Link is definitely NSFW)

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

No clue...since I live in hickville...I'll say nay

8. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Even better cross country mom story:

This woman calls me irate that we continue to disrespect her daughter and her school with our erroneous reporting. She swears that her daughter's team won their first meet of the season, but again, we ruined it by misprinting the score. She starts calling me every name under the son as I thumb through that day's section for said score.

Me: Uh, you know that in cross country the lowest score wins, right?
    Her: ... asshole! (click)

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Dear Penthouse,

The craziest thing happened to me the other day. See, I'm a lonely sports writer, and I got a call from this sultry voiced mom saying her son runs cross-country. One thing led to another...

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's your cross-country photo, Bill ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Ha!

Back on point: I'm tempted in those situations to tell mom or dad to call the other parents on the team and say why their child is more deserving of a story/photo/whatever than theirs. I'd pay money to listen in to the call.

In defense of cross-country parents, I got a pleasant note from a parent whose child we left out (accidently) of the state results. (We run top finishers and locals, and we simply missed her - our bad.) That was one time I didn't mind running back do-over agate.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. Where does it say the paper should only run pictures of the winners? Any good picture will do, and besides, the same kids win these fuckers all the time. We're not Jostens or Neff. We're not in the business of giving out awards. Now, I loathe having someone feel like they got over on me as much as the next guy, but that's just ego talking. Ego has no place in this business. Give readers what they want. How do you know what they want? Occasionally they call and ask. Course, if they don't ask nicely (channeling Col. Jessup here) there's also nothing that says you can't respond in kind. If the best art you have is of this woman's kid, that's almost serendipity. Get her off your back.

Draft saved Draft deleted