1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross country mom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Nov 5, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It would be just as unprofessional of you to not run the best art to spite her as it would be to run something less than quality to appease her.

Your logic on why he didn't get more attention was fine, and you were right sticking to your guns.

Now you've got a good picture.

He happens to be in it.

That's simply a bonus that should have nothing to do, either way, with your decision.

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

If it gives you an out, run the photo of the kid as jump art (if the story jumps, that is).

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Problem solved (sort of):
    I am a twice-weekly, that covers 14 schools; nine in our county
    The school he goes to has a monthly that is owned by us...so I shipped those pics off to the editor of that paper.
    Sure, the mom will be pissed that Johnny didn't get in our paper, but if she calls I can direct her to the editor of the monthly and call it good.

Damn, I'm smooth! LOL

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You should have run the good art of the winners in the paper and then run the shot of little Johnny finishing 73rd as a web only photo.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You have a kid who wasn't involved in any scoring at any meet during the year - and you were thinking about running a picture of him.... in the State meet? WTF? Why not a picture of the team manager, or the guy who drove the van to the State meet?

Maybe I am crazy, but if I wanted to see a picture of a kid from a cross country meet, I'd want it to be of someone who actually accomplished something.

As far as the pic of the loser being "good art" - I think that's an oxymoron in cross country... unless the kid was sprouting wings and about to take off flying.

Just my opinion.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Poindexter - I'm in your camp...

I see one xc pic, I've seen them all. When I said "best art", I meant one that wasn't an iso of one kid...there were a few runners in the pic (just not from my area), oh, and his eyes were open.

I don't understand how these kids run with their eyes closed for the most part. I like to see where I am running.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Have her call me. I'm a cross country parent. I'll have to break it to her:
    No one cares.
    No one is going to care.
    It's a lousy spectator sport.
    It's nearly impossible to cover.
    No one but the parents come to the meets.
    Only three or four kids count in any race, maybe 5-6 if one team is dominant.
    My kid was decent in high school. He's much better in college but in high school he didn't merit a story or a pic. AND HE WAS BETTER THAN HER FRIGGIN' SON.
    She's turning her son into a little wimp who needs his mommie's protection. My wife never called the newspaper, never even asked why her son wasn't in the paper. She understood.
    I'd love to talk to her, CC parent to CC parent.

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

... and you guys are right about the CC pics. My son has been in a newspaper photo three times in two years of college CC and every CC photo is about the same.
    Until I see one with a ginormous prehistoric bird about to swoop down on the runner from behind, they'll all look pretty much the same.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Poindexter: Maybe we need more info. This quote implied to me that it was a relevant news pic -- or a great shot -- that simply had the kid in it, not that he was the focal point.

If that's not the case, my answer changes.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't believe we are breaking down this cross country pic like it was the Zapruder film.

Now, I gots to know. Was he the focal point, or just in the background of a "great" pic?

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

God bless you, sir.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The best cross country photos are the vomit photos.

Or the face twisted in pain.

Or the kid falling on the final hill.

Draft saved Draft deleted