1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross-Country Girl Breaks Leg, and Finishes Race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Did anyone see this?

All advanced apologies if this is a db.

Brace yourself if you watch the video.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=3111847&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab8pos1

2. EStoess

EStoess Member

Wow. That's amazing.

Did the News Herald do anything more than the gamer I found via google?

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

She should meet this girl: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/49386/

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wow. Amazing story.
    Unbelievable courage and determination

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the first girl was named Buck, is this one named Hopper?

Sorry.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Don't apologize.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Honestly... if she isn't SI sportsperson of the year, retire the fucking honor.

Incredible.

I've never seen such an effort on such a tiny stage.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Haha, what a fuck up by both them and the PD. In one of the most hilarious cases of burying the lead, here are the last two paragraphs of the PD story on this race. Granted, Berkshire is about as fringe a school as the PD covers, but c'mon!

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/119416933284390.xml&coll=2

9. TheSportsPredictor

I will revise -- not a fuckup by the N-H b/c they did have the story the day after it happened. PD, tho, should have had muuuuuuuuuch more.

10. BBJones

BBJones Guest

TheSportsPredictor, is that in their coverage area? If so, that is indeed a major gaffe by the writer, no?

11. TheSportsPredictor

PD, it is more of a fringe school, but you would think they would do a follow-up. They did name a couple Berkshire kids as players of the week in September.

NH covers 'em, they got the story.

12. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Since it appears the Plain Dealer left very little space at all for the entire meet, if you focus on that girl, what would happen to the people that won the meet? A follow-up was certainly warranted. I suppose they had to get in their 12 pages of professional and major college coverage that day, though, because that stuff certainly isn't available anywhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted