1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's really not difficult. If I want to drive, I have to go through the proper process of getting a license and following both traffic laws and state laws (mandating insurance for one thing). I can't just decide to jump behind the wheel and cry stupid if I get arrested.

There is a proper channel in place for anyone who wants to become a citizen on this country. Plenty of folks legally go through the process every year. So the way I see you, you have two options. Either get rid of the process entirely and allow anyone who wants to come in to come in or enforce the process and kick out anyone who doesn't comply.

It's not difficult. It's the law.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rules are Rules goddamnit!

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Come here legally! It's so easy! Why hasn't anyone thought of that?!

Oh wait ... could it be because the U.S. has immigration quotas? Strict ones, when it comes to Mexico? Nah, I'm sure that's not it.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled ... oh Jesus, not THEM. We didn't mean THEM!

And it sure is a good thing that immigrants of previous generations assimilated so seamlessly, eliminating all vestiges of their previous culture. I'd hate to see what the place would look like if it were full of Jewish delis and Italian restaurants and Irish bars.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why do they come here?

http://blogpublic.lib.msu.edu/index.php/michigan_recruiting_migrant_farmworkers?blog=5

¡Venga a Michigan!

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's actually incredibly difficult, which is why nonthinking, black-and-white solutions have the failure rate of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

6. schiezainc

Well, like it or not the rules are the rules. If it needs to be amended, that's a different argument but just because something is hard does not mean people should be able to just choose to ignore the rules in place.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If all the Mexicans were white, no one would give a shit about illegal immigration.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Haven't you heard about the dragnet in NYC to round up the illegal Irish nannies?

What? Oh, wait--never mind.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Your children are hungry now. You going to wait to be legal or cross illegally and be working in a few days?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And let's not forget the case of the WaPo writer, who was sent over here illegally when he was 12 and didn't KNOW he was illegal. Then he was going to have to go back to his country for 10 years before he could even apply, all for something he didn't do and while he was in a career.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rules are Rules IJAG, we must abide by the rules.

12. schiezainc

I'm going to do what I need to do but, if I get caught illegally staying in a country, I should be deported.

Draft saved Draft deleted