1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Wasn't there a movie about this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377744/

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That was when life was simpler. In the here and now we still welcome immigrants, we simply ask them for proper documentation and procedure. Its a safety thing and it helps our democracy run better if can document everybody.
    Lets not compare apples with oranges.
    Why would you welcome illegals into the country without asking them for a cotton-pickin' thing, lone star? That would welcome anarchy.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It's always the immigrants' fault.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

These guys are lucky. I don't know if it's just a New York law, or if the law has been changed, but farmers didn't always have to play their workers minimum wage. Back in the 90s they could get away with paying their help three or four dollars an hour because of certain exemptions.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

there's not really going to be that much of an added cost for someone watching them. someone's watching them in the jail is instead watching them in a field. it may be a little more because more officers probably are needed when inmates leave the jail.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

You know what really aggravazes me? It's them immigants.
    They wants all the benefits of living in Springfield, but they ain't even bother to learn themselves the language....

7. printdust

printdust New Member

The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal
    He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
    When he came across this young Mexican sweatin' on a day that was hot.
    And the devil jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
    "I bet you didn't know it, but Americans are 'croppers too.
    "And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
    "Now you do pretty good work, boy, but give the devil his due:
    "I bet a fiddle of gold against your soul, 'cos I think he's better than you."
    The boy said: "My name's Pedro and it might be a sin,
    "But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, cjericho, we sure could reform "incarceration" and, after grandfathering in all the current detainees, adopt new standards and procedures that make it where if you are arrested and detained for any length of time, you will work in the community.
    They could sweep all that loose gravel you see in intersections, pick up trash, and tons of other communal stuff and we could just as easily do privatized stuff wherein the landowners still pay a fee, to a charity or to the city/county itself as a means of building those coffers.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Please. This is the same thing that was being said during "Yellow Peril" in the early 1900s and then the Japanese Internment.

Its not a safety thing. Its a scapegoat thing. The immigrants do not drain social services, they are net providers. Immigrants are net providers in terms of tax revenue as well. In addition to the consistent scapegoating, the other consistency is that they will continue to be demonized.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pedro sharpen up your hoe
    And whip out your green card
    Cause hell's broke loose in Georgia
    And Nathan Deal has no heart
    And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold
    But if lose, the sheriff puts you in the hole

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

What do I text to vote for Pedro?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Pedro's found a book on magic, in a garbage can.
    He's goin' out ... to the dirty boulevard.
    He wants to fly-yih... (fly, fly, fly away ...)

Pedro can live the American Dream as long as he comes here legally.
    Damn! What's not to understand about that?

Draft saved Draft deleted