1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Seems like there's a considerable amount of math involved to get paid a decent wage. Not sure if out-of-work journalists could handle those kind of calculations.

2. maberger

maberger Member

800 bucks a week? really? The Independent had a great story few years ago:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/slave-labour-that-shames-america-765881.html

here's the dollar graf:

Fruit-pickers, who typically earn about $200 (100) a week, are part of an unregulated system designed to keep food prices low and the plates of America's overweight families piled high. The migrants, largely Hispanic and with many of them from Mexico, are the last wretched link in a long chain of exploitation and abuse. They are paid 45 cents (22p) for every 32-pound bucket of tomatoes collected. A worker has to pick nearly two-and-a-half tons of tomatoes a near impossibility in order to reach minimum wage. So bad are their working and living conditions that the US Department of Labour, which is not known for its sympathy to the underdog, has called it "a labour force in considerable distress".

unless georgia is a lot more generous, 800 bucks a week seems impossible.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If I knew of a place near me to make $20 an hour picking fruit and veggies I'd be doing it. At least part time.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's in the AP story how they get there. vouchers and asskicking.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A related story ... the illegals are now staging "coming out" events:
    (I say if you are illegally here you need to be briefed on the proper "legalization" procedure then sent back where you came from ... no questions, get the heck out and start over)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/28/georgia-immigration-law-illegal-immigrants-arrested_n_886622.html

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. Don't ever ask questions. Two reasons -- 1) might not get the answers you like and 2) it might lead to an educated populace.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"They"? One guy claimed he did it.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, trust me, I'm not backing it. He's just asking how it could be done. That's how it was "claimed" it happened. I'm not sure for the amount of work it would take to get to that level that it would even be worth the money.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No questions from the illegals.
    Certainly the authorities would ask questions to determine if the people were here legally.
    But if they are determined to have come here illegally, get 'em out.

10. Blitz, unless you're Native American, your ancestors came here as immigrants. So I guess we should send them and you back unless you have papers going back generations. Or do you conveniently ignore the claim that being born here makes you legal?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it's not on Fox, its not news

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where are the Tea Party folks and anti-illegal howlers when you need 'em.

Hand those folks a bushel and tell them to start proving their love of America.

Draft saved Draft deleted