1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good story that describes the rough conditions for these non-skilled workers.
    Here in San Antonio, they use prisoners all the time to pick up trash on medians and other areas prior to them being mowed. We need to make law-breakers pay a price for their deeds and trash/crops represent positive work alternatives.
    It ain't slavery as long as they are credited for time. The probationers shouldn't have a say in what type of work is asked of them.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Still shaking the bush, boss.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Quite a difference in having prisoners do state work and requiring them to work for someone's business. I wonder how the people who actually work those jobs feel when they find out their jobs are actually punishment for some people.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's easy to say, Blitz, but forcing businesses to take laborers who can't do the work isn't exactly fair to the business owners. It's not working in Georgia, where the losses from unharvested crops have already escalated into hundreds of millions of dollars.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's all about how to properly retrain Amurican workers

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Don't understand why we're playing these sorts of games with our food supply when severe drought in the Southwest and spring and summertime flooding elsewhere have already done a number on crops.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It would solve the problems of funding education.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not to mention the added cost for security (law enforcement) to make sure no one escapes when they should be picking crops.

I'm all for prison labor, but there's usually a reason these people are behind bars. I'd rather they stay there.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why is this being reported in a blog and not in a detailed news story?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, good question.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My apologies for not linking more stories, goalmouth. This issue has been covered fairly comprehensively by the AJC and AP.

12. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Why not just hire us poor journalists. I think we can handle the punishment issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted