1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The migrant farm worker look is in with the tight economy.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW I would hazard a guess that I am one of the few people on the board who has actually worked as a farm worker.

I was completely broke living in Australia and could not get a job but did not want to go home.

I picked watermelons, cantaloupes, peppers and grapes.

It is physical work but not something that you have to be especially physically fit to do. I saw lots of larger folks doing it, one even said it was agreat way to lose weight.

For me it was the sheer boredom and mindlessness of the work rather tha the physical demand that drove me nuts.

I worked 3 weeks straight, 6 days a week and then left. My motivation for getting a better job before my holiday work visa ran out had increased immensely.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Of course you wouldn't and good for you.
    You are college-educated with quicker access to white-collar work.
    That doesn't mean there aren't a ton of lazy, uninspired people in this country who a.) didn't make a choice to participate in the readily-available, learn now, pay later higher education avenues we have in USA, and/or b.) don't want to get off their asses and earn some honest money
    All they want to do is bitch and moan about how bad they've got it, and they damn sure don't want to get up every day and go to work.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was talking to a friend this afternoon and he posited that Americans have largely deemed these jobs as beneath them. I've not seen or read anything that contradicts that sentiment.

A thought about the hourly rates: If you make the rate hourly rather than piece rate, then the workers will almost certainly be less productive. Pay them $20 an hour, and they'll want to make the work last as long as possible. Pay them a piece rate, and they'll try to get it done as fast as possible.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

True

6. Point of Order

Lots of good points here. To me the bottom line is that we need to get these very issues out in the open and address them in an honest and comprehensive manner. Just targeting migrant workers without consideration for the downstream consequences is not going to work. The simplistic "Build the dang fence" tea party crowd now gets to figure our how they want to operate in the real world.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, it would be cheaper to build the fence using undocumented workers.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Can't they just stand on the south side of the fence as they work?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you make 40 an hour?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Alabama's racists finding out just how expensive racism is:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/alabama-anti-immigration-law-self-deportation-movement

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Since this thread got bumped, I'll tack this on: The appellate court will delay a ruling until a SCOTUS ruling on the Arizona law.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/court-to-rule-later-1368578.html

12. Point of Order

In a perverse sense, I think these laws have been good because there is no better way to get enough people to appreciate the need for comprehensive immigration reform than to let the most virulent opponents have a little taste of reality. Might actually wake folks up to the complexity and real life consequences at stake.

Draft saved Draft deleted