1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crocodile Hunter dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Who was with the kids when this happened?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. The kids. Dear Lord, what about the kids. Once a man has kids he shall, at the threat of terrorism, a thunderstorm or sting ray attack, lock himself indoors for the remainder of his days.

MY GOD! THE KIDS!

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There is only audio of the Grizzly Man's death because neither he or his significant other pulled the lens cap off before the bear attacked.

And like others have said, there is no comparison between that idiot and Irwin.

4. Point of Order

Love the avatar... the Rumsfeld speech last week reminded me of that part of the movie. "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" is one of those movies that gets funnier and funnier every time you watch it. The first time I saw it I thought, "not that funny" but now it's one of my favorite - so many good one-liners. Delmar whispering to Pete in the movie theatre: "We... thought.... you... was a toad!" being just one.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Well, even though he devoted much of his life to the study of crocodiles, it's clear he had a soft spot in his heart for stingrays.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oh, no he didn't!

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Just wondering... since mom was in Tasmania.

8. Point of Order

Columbo,
    My post was directed at Kaylee and Rasputin's silly comments that he shouldn't have been swimming near a sting ray for the simple fact that he had kids, when in reality, a person has approximately a 1 in 2 billion chance of death by sting ray. It's an overly emotional reaction, and a non sequitur.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

The way the "experts" are talking, these rays are less dangerous than the croc that came with the Croc Hunter game. My 3 yr. old loves that game, where you get Steve and Terry around a fence as a croc tries to bounce them. The croc finally broke last week because of overuse.
    Gonna miss his exploits. Also, it seems instead of a tribute, they've taken his website down.

10. Point of Order

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/09/05/1157222098946.html?from=top5

Irwin death footage 'terrible'
    David Braithwaite
    September 5, 2006 - 10:19AM

The underwater video footage of Steve Irwin's death after he was speared in the chest by a stingray was "shocking" his manager reportedly said today.

John Stainton told reporters the footage, which he had handed to police, was the worst thing he had ever seen, Sydney's 2GB radio reported this morning.

"I have seen the footage and it's shocking," Mr Stainton said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're watching somebody die and it's terrible."

Mr Stainton, also a producer and director of Irwin's popular television shows, said the footage showed Mr Irwin pulling the barb out of his chest before losing consciousness.

'The tail came up'

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone.

"That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

Mr Stainton, who was aboard Mr Irwin's vessel Croc One when the tragedy occurred, said it was likely the television star and naturalist died almost immediately as a result of the stingray's blow.

"(He was) probably a metre coming over the top of it," he said.

"He was underwater. I think, and the coroner's report will say what happened, but I think he died fairly instantly."

"I think we all had that belief that we'd pull through whatever situation we were in and he has been in some very close shaves with snakes and crocodiles.

"I would never imagine it to come from something like a stingray."

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The humor site http://www.joecartoon.com has a small note honoring Irwin on its home page. However if you click on it, you get taken to a sick satire of his show from 2002.
    JoeCartoon is my favorite site for mindless humor and senseless cartoon violence.
    Most of the interactive toons crack me up.. if you've never seen them. Three to watch, in this order, are: Gerbil in a Microwave, Joe Fish, The Boss.

12. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Where can I find these three you mentioned? Is there an archive? I dont see them on home page

Draft saved Draft deleted