1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crocodile Hunter dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I'll take 80 or 44 no matter what I do. In fact, I'll add 'em together and take 124.
    And of course the video will come out. It's part of an death investigation now. When it pops up, don't watch it, but expect that others, heaven knows why, will want to.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Grizzly Man stuff never came out... Earnhardt's autopsy photos didn't....

I don't think it's a given.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Uh-huh.

While he may or may not have backed off, it seems as if he wasn't willing to hang it up completely. And as loved as he was by some, his kids will grow up without a dad.

If you can't quit the party, so to speak, you may want to hold off on procreating.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Different hemisphere, different continent, different country, different rules.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Point taken.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if Irwin had standing instructions to his production company about what to do with footage of his death. Given how he put himself in dangerous situations in front of the cameras, it surely was discussed.

That's completely different than Rick Treadway, who thought wild grizzlies were his friends who communicated with him telepathically.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Everything they've said on the news is that this is a one in a billion type accident... Apparently there have only been three documented deaths like this...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a big difference between Steve Irwin and the Grizzly Man. Grizzly man was, for all intents and purposes, an idiot. Like Inky said, he thought the bears communicated with him telepathically. It was only a matter of time before what happened, happened.
    Irwin was a professional. He took risks, sure, but he also knew what he was doing. He'd been doing that stuff pretty much since birth and took every precaution he could (paramedics on site, anti-venom handy when dealing with snakes, etc.).

As for the Grizzly Man footage, was there any? I thought the camera had the lens cap on when the bear attacked, or the attack happened at night. I remember reading the Anchorage Daily News stories when it happened, and them mentioning that there were only audio tapes of the attack. I may be wrong, though.

9. I don't really see how any of you can call this reckless.

In general, sure, Irwin held a risky profession. But what he was doing today was no more risky than scuba diving, an activity that I'm sure many of us on here have participated in. The only difference here is he was filming while doing it. It's not reckless. It's just a freak accident. RIP.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Should the line from the other thread come over here?

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

If you have ever went snorkeling, you have probably been around rays. They are docile creatures and, even though they can sting, the chances of being killed are very remote. Steve was filming them for a kids show he was going to host with his daughter, Bindi, so this wasn't a head-in-the-croc's-mouth moment where you knew he was taking an unnecessary risk.
    We all have joked around saying "That guy is going to get killed some day," and, in the end, we were right. However, I wish we weren't. I have a 3-year-old son who watches Croc Diaries with me daily, he has a "Steve Irwin meets The Wiggles" DVD that is practically worn out and he knows who Steve is as soon as he hears that accent.
    Nature can be a cruel bitch my friends and this accident proves it.
    Rest in Peace Croc Hunter. And may peace come to Terry, Bindi and little Bob.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He certainly wasn't diving alone.

THAT's being truly reckless.

Draft saved Draft deleted