1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crocodile Hunter dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

LOL

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it's a fairly common view that Irwin took his chances with these animals, even if he was "a trained professional." You could indeed call him reckless.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That's really sad. I loved the dude and so did the kids.

He's going to be missed and I second dooley's sentiment in hoping that video is quickly destroyed and is never seen.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I realize Irwin cared for animals a great deal, but isn't the "I love her like I love my wife" line a bit much?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He might have had that attitude if he were 44 and single, but he was married with two young kids. I'm guessing had he had a choice, he'd have taken dying in the hospital at 80.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, subtlety and understatement weren't really strong points with him.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I dunno. He struck me as a guy who lived for what he did, and we know with absolute certainty he lived his entire life on his own terms. Would he want to live long enough to see his kids grow up? I'm betting he would, but if the choice of death mode is one or the other, without any caveats, I get the impression he would have chosen 44.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When you have kids, it's not all about you anymore... You have to be more cautious and more intelligent about risks you take in life... That's not to say this guy had to take a desk job somewhere, but ...

That said, this seems like a pretty freak accident... It would have been one thing if he'd been eaten by a crocodile...

9. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I was under the impression he'd backed way off, at least in the documentary sense, since he had kids. Most of his shows since then were "The Crocodille Hunter Diaries," which are all filmed in or around his zoo. The movie was pretty carefully controlled as well.

And this type of stingray injury is very, very rare, from what I can tell. It would be like the Dog Whisperer guy taking a bite to the jugular from one of his charges. It can happen, but it's a freak accident.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I never understand that line.

If you love your job, would you rather die at 44 right as you file a story on deadline or at 80 in a hospital?

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Once you have kids, that cavalier thought tends to evaporate.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Unfortunately, the Queensland Police have the footage, so you know at some point it will get out to the public.

Draft saved Draft deleted