1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crocodile Hunter dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 4, 2006.

1. busdriver

busdriver Member

I remember that commercial I thought that it was very funny I always like Steve and so did my oldest daughter in fact she is in love with crocks and alleys as she calls them it is very sad his teaching will be missed RIP
    Very sad.

Watch enough Discovery channel, and I felt like I knew the guy. A good guy.

Did a funny ESPN commercial a couple years ago where he goes after the UF mascot.

I'm bummed.
    [/quote]

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

RIP...

The ratings are going to skyrocket though...

3. lono

lono Active Member

This did not end well. :'(

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Okay, I know this is a little morbid, but I'm assuming the sting was caught on tape. How long before it surfaces on the web? Will his wife watch it?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Give it a month and it'll find its way on YouTube.

It's a low down dirty shame, but as mentioned, this is how the crocodile hunter should go out. Except I guess it'd be more fitting if a croc ate him. He will be missed.

That said ...

Tampa Bay Devil Rays management denied rumors that they'd be changing their names out of respect for the accident, because "since when can we hit anything?"

6. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

This is sad.

The guy seemed to generally just love life, the kind of person who was always happy and outgoing. He will be missed.

Hopefully that video footage is destroyed.

R.I.P.

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

If CNN touts the exclusive from two years ago -- the one on the same day that Today, ABC and who knows who else got the guy after he held his baby and threw chicken in a croc's mouth -- with Larry King one more fucking time, I'm driving to Atlanta and killing the bastard.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sorry, but the footage showed how reckless this guy could be, so it makes it relevant to what happened...

It also doesn't make his death any less tragic...

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My daughter's jaw just hit the floor when I told her. She's known who Steve is since she could talk. She's got a handful of his DVDs and watches his show on Animal Planet.

Steve Irwin ... the man who made Animal Planet and other similar channels cool. He'll be greatly missed around the world. He had a zest for life that few could match and his enthusiasm for his job was genuine.

RIP mate. :'(

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Didn't footage like this, taking the audio and not the video, get made into "Grizzly Man," that compelling documentary? Did people have a problem with that audio being used?

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This is as fitting as the couple who died from a grizzly or polar bear attack while filming yet another documentary on the animals. I recall that one from about two years ago. The damned thing of it was that they had the camera on with the lens covered. When they discovered their camp site, they were able to listen to the entire attack on the camera. I believe it started to eat the lady first and then chomped down on the guy when he tried to rescue her.

Of course, death on the job isn't only something that happens to crocodile hunters. My cousin was working for a news service when he was murdered in Guatemala. People die in factories all the time. Truck drivers seem at risk with so many accidents on the roads.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ironic that he's killed by a stingray. That filming was probably considered like a day off for him. Yep. I woulda guessed croc.

Draft saved Draft deleted