1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crocodile Hunter dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Crikey! Given Irwin's love for danger, wasn't this kind of ending inevitable?

RIP...

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

From ABC Regional News:

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

3. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Reports are saying it was a stingray barb to the heart.

Which is kinda hard to visualize for me. Does the thing just start backing into you? The barbs are attached to the tail. I was under the impression most stingray injuries occured from people stepping on them.

Edited to add:
    http://www.clubcruceros.org/StingrayInjuries.html

Still doesn't explain how you get a spine to the heart. But apparently others have been killed this way.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

As a pretty dedicated Discovery Channel watcher, this sucks. Prayers to his family, especially the young'ns he left behind.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He may have been swimming under it, or behind it since he was filming a documentary.

6. KP

KP Active Member

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20349560-661,00.html

7. Stupid

Stupid Member

G'night, mate.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Very sad.

Watch enough Discovery channel, and I felt like I knew the guy. A good guy.

Did a funny ESPN commercial a couple years ago where he goes after the UF mascot.

I'm bummed.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess it was only a matter of time. It is for all of us, but when you do the kind of stuff Irwin did, that time could come a little sooner than it does for most of us.
    RIP.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

He was a cheap buy in dead pools every year.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

From Reuters

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-09-04T065739Z_01_SP34161_RTRUKOC_0_US-AUSTRALIA-IRWIN.xml

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My wife made an interesting observation about this when I told her the news this morning. Her first question, the one she always asks in these situations, was "didn't he have kids?"

Her second was, "Isn't this how he'd want to go out, if he had to?"

And I guess she's right -- it's not like he got hit by a bus or died of a heart attack sitting on a couch. Irwin played a dangerous game of poker with his career every day of his life, and fate finally pulled out a royal flush on him.

RIP, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted