1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Critics top movies of the decade so far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A good dividing line on movies as to whether the person you're talking to is normal or one of those people who really ought to spend at least an hour a day outdoors is "What do you think of Terence Malick?"
    Tree of Life was a flick where I was going "OK, OK, it's magnificent. Can I go now?"

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I love Terrance Malick and I spend plenty of time outdoors.

I also watch sports and listen to music and read books and all manner of normal things.

I can also discern the difference between popcorn flicks and quality cinema. I also know the times those things intersect.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jay's on the money here.

Also, a lot of what is being dismissed as hipster doofus fare used to just be movies for grown-ups. I remember my parents going to see "Blue Velvet" at the cinema in town next to Venture. Today, it would play in Brooklyn for a week and then seek a DVD distributor.

Also, "Margaret" was phenomenal. Also, some of the films on the list have been argued endlessly on the movie thread here. "Melancholia" was one. Also "Take Shelter."

Draft saved Draft deleted