1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Critics top movies of the decade so far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I scanned through the top 100 (actually more than that with ties) and I counted about 20 movies I've actually heard of.
    Guess I need to grow my hipster beard and start going to film festivals. Or I'm just not smart enough to understand the something something blah blah aesthetics of a paradigm-shifting masterpiece blah blah French Guy Director Who Made One Film No One Has Heard Of is better than Hitchcock blah blah blah.

One of the best descriptions was "It didn't get much of a theatrical release ..." which is code for "Only smelly beatniks smoking clove cigarettes in 20-seat theaters at 10 p.m. on a Wednesday in mid-February ever saw this."

Mr. Sunshine and JackReacher like this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Out of the top 112 (98 + the ties), I've seen 31 and heard of another 21. Some of the 31, I didn't like at all. "Spring Breakers," really? That alone makes it ridiculous.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Culled from nearly 300 responses via Twitter and Facebook: the best films of the 2010s.

Man, this must be a hell of a party when they all get together.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Watching something that adds to my self loathing >>>> Something that makes me laugh

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Film critics watch movies the same way sportswriters watch games.

That being said, I really wish I had seen Tree of Life on a big screen instead of renting it and watching it on the TV.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Of the Top 10, I think Silver Linings Playbook and the Sarah Polley documentary were the only ones I'd heard of.

And it is Silver Linings Playbook, not THE Silver Linings Playbook. They dropped "The" when adapting from book to movie.

Hipster doofus blogger should have known that.

Dyno likes this.
  7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Actually Silver Linings didn't even make the actual Top 10, just his personal top 10. I actually enjoyed that movie. Of their Top 25 I think Ihad actually heard of about six or seven and seen three: Spring breakers, Wolf of Wall Street an Social Network. Terrible list

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If I haven't heard of it, it must be terrible.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I believe the only criteria for this list was that at least 73% of the films mentioned had to be movies no one with a job had heard of.
    Also, the vast majority of movies that saw ANY commercial success were automatically disqualified.
    F**king hipsters.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Agree fully! Some of those in the highest other vote-getters were some of the worst we tried to watch.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's lists like that that cause people to stop reading critics. That's why I loved Ebert so much, because he would review the movies that people actually wanted to see and would occasionally let you know about a smaller film that you might have to search out.

I consider myself a pretty big movie fan and I haven't heard of the bulk of the films on that list.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I counted 50 on the whole list I've seen, though I've been bad the last year or two, coinciding with the birth of my daughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted