1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cris Carter urged NFL rookies to have a “fall guy”

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That makes him a fraud as a human, not a receiver.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And, fwiw, he was far worse at his prior stops with the Eagles and at Ohio State. In college he had a terrible off field reputation and ended up getting suspended his entire final season after getting caught taking illegal payments from agents. Then in Philly the Eagles were willing to cut one of the league's most talented young recievers just to get away from his drugs/alcohol/attitude problems. And, as you noted, even though in Minny his image cleaned up and he learned how to put on the good boy face for the cameras, he was still widely known behind the scenes for being a locker room cancer.

So this, along with frickin Warren Sapp, are the two guys the NFL chose to lecture the rookies on off field judgment and decision-making? It's almost like Goodell's NFL is purposely trying to make wrong moves.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is that video located any other place? I'd like to watch it.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Murrican public has shown over and over that they don't give a shit how these cretins behave so why should Roger Goodell?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nice touch to have the HOF jacket on.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Carter, like Josh Duggar, tried to lecture AN ENTIRE NATION!

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

To paraphrase a comment to one of the stories on this: The NFL chooses people like Cris Carter, Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin to serve as role models and mentors for young players, then wonders why it has such a bad reputation for players acting badly.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The counterargument is, of course, are the kinds of young players this might actually help likelier to listen to, say, Warrick Dunn or Matt Birk or some other player who always had his head on straight, or somebody who screwed up at their age? The mistake they made was actually believing Sapp and Carter had changed; they're still the same jerks they always were.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On that note, Birk and Robert Smith were joys to cover because they were high intelligence. Moss was as well but the schism between Moss and the print media kept him quiet after a while.

Those Vikings teams had elite talent but weak leadership and discipline in the Denny Green era. The atmosphere even had Warren Moon slapping women around.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, it was the atmosphere that made Moon slap women around.

If only that leadership could have kicked a 38 yard field goal.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Robert Klemko was in the symposium and essentially allowed himself to "access intimidated" into not writing about Carter's line.

I'm sorry, but a publication of MMQB's import and prominence just needs to get over that. A lot of news organizations do.

Klemko writes:

"When the public relations or marketing arm representing an org or a player facilitates access such as this, there is often a verbal agreement that certain details observed in the course of reporting may be negotiated for omission. Personally, I only agree to these omissions when the subject matter is immaterial to what I gather is the larger point of the story, which, in the case of the symposium, I believed Carter's comment was."

but later concedes:

When Carter said the words, "have a fall guy" in what was a light-hearted and animated session that at times made league employees in attendance cringe, the NFL's Kim Fields looked my way and said, "that can't go in the story."

and

Maybe it was a mistake not to run it, but I had made an agreement which boiled down to this: Tell 95% of an untold story, or none of it. I chose 95% because I wanted to take readers someplace they'd never been, and I wanted to continue getting access to these sorts of events.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Only caught a couple min of Mike and Mike this morning ('cause that's all I can take before switching to anything else on Sirius) and Greenberg was out (do these guys get 3 mos of vacation a year?) so it was only Golic and Dari whatshisname, and they were tsk-tsking the comments like proper ESPN schoolmarms. But by Week 1, CC will undoubtedly get back to being rubbed and tugged again.

Draft saved Draft deleted