1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cringeworthy: Newt eyeing VP slot?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Once you get over the heebie-jeebies thinking of a New Gingrich striptease... (SHUDDER!)... bask in the true horror that it sounds like Newt wants to be the new Dick Cheyney.
    Anyone got any holy water, a wooden stake, and a crucifix?

Can't help but think this would be a detriment to a Thompson run, though, no? Is anyone really a fan of Gingrich anymore? And why in the hell is he marking the 13th anniversary of the Contract with America -- which by any account delivered very little of what it promised?

And, for symmetry, is it just me that finds it funny he's marking the 13th anniversary? What? He missed the 666th day anniversary, so he thought he'd make up for it?
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even as a republican, that ticket scares the hell out of me...
  3. I can definitely see Newt being courted by the Republican power brokers to offset a more liberal Giuliani or Romney. He can play the heavy like Cheney and be in position to make his own run in eight years. If they win. Which they won't.
  4. There is absolutely no way that Newt Gingrich is anyone's vice-president. The Cheney model requires a, er, disengaged POTUS. The incumbent is sui generis in that regard. Yeah, Rudy's going to allow Newt to set up his own shop.
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the GOP nominee is Giuliani, Rick Perry will be the veep. Book it.
  6. What I meant, FB, was that Newt would play the heavy in a campaign, with Mitt or Rudy. Should the unthinkable happen and they actually win/steal the election, Mitt or Rudy would never allow Newt to become a Fourth Branch of Government a la Cheney. More likely they'd tell him to go pound sand for 4/8 years and wait his turn.
  7. Perfect. Then we can have a disengaged vice president. When will Texas stop sending its mistakes to DC?
  8. Football_Bat

It's the only way W will make out looking like Thomas Jefferson.
  9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When will Texans stop making these mistakes? There's quite a few of us who voted to get Gov. Goodhair out of office.
  10. Football_Bat

Maybe a vote for Perry for VP will get the job done.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

After Bush resigns for "health reasons" about Halloween 2008, and President Cheney calls off the elections for "homeland security" reasons, my guess is Newt will be appointed VP. Newt, or maybe Rush, or maybe Ann Coulter. ::) ::)
Draft saved Draft deleted