1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crime/mystery novels/novelists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 15, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Mark Wahlberg in the "Shooter."
    Movie wasn't close to the original novel. Hunter's examination of a forgotten Marine sniper was fascinating, not to mention one should not piss one off.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

True, but there's lots of formulaic stuff in the genre.

But you're right. It sometimes gets short shrift and there are good authors who can actualy write lumped in with hacks like Clancy.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Bill Fitzhugh

[​IMG]

4. He writes mysterious books that are mysteries, but not crime procedurals, but I can recommend an Irish writer named Michael Collins (And, yes. he's a distant cousin to Himself.) Start with The Resurrectionists and go from there.
    "Death Of A Writer" is a mystery and a great read.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Any Ed McBain fans here?

6. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Thanks. It bothered me that I couldn't remember the title. You're right ... the book was far better.

Bob Lee Swagger is a bad-ass. Hunter also has written a few books (prequels?)with Bob Lee's father as a central character. They're also great reads.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Read a bunch of the 87th Precinct novels years ago. Pretty entertaining.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Count me among the Ellroy fans, although his style takes some getting used to. Beyond his LA noir books, I really liked American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Earl Swagger is Bob Lee's dad. He's featured in Hot Springs (where he runs the mafia out of Hot Springs, Ark., which is based on a true story), Pale Horse Coming and Havana.

Bob Lee "The Nailer" Swagger is in Point of Impact, Black Light, Time to Hunt and The 47th Samurai. First three were really good, haven't read the last one yet.

And Dirty White Boys is tied in with the Swaggers as well. The main character is Earl's bastard son.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Fen shoots, he scores!
    Thanks, FB! A friend recommended Collins to me a while back, and I completely forgot about it. Looking for something to pick up at the bookstore tonite, and there you go and give me my mission.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Count me as another fan of both Johnathan Kellerman and Ian Rankin.

Two names I haven't seen here are Sue Grafton (she of the Kinsey Milhone novels with alphabet titles "A is for Alibi", "B is for Burger", etc.) and Sarah Paretsky (the wonderful V.I. Warshawski series).

I'd also like to recommend the Pete Decker and Rina Lazarus mysteries of Faye Kellerman. Great characters and a glimpse into the world of Orthodox Judaism that is endlessly fascinating. I also like Stephen White (the Alan Gregory mystery series) although my favourite in the series actually features his (then) girlfriend Lauren whose sister is on trial for murder in Utah in a case that involves the upper echelons of the Mormon church.

I haven't seen him mentioned here but Peter Straub has written some great mystery stuff, epecially "The Throat".

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

May have missed it, but I love me some Harlan Coben. I really like Myron Bolita and his self-deprecating humor.

Kellerman and Block are two favorites. I just picked up Le Carre on your guys' suggestion.

As far as spy novels go, I'll throw out Adam Hall and the Quiller novels.

I really love this thread though. I have so many new authors to check out.

Draft saved Draft deleted