1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crime/mystery novels/novelists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 15, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I find Cain a rough go; extreme hard-boiled ain't me. And Agatha ain't my style.
    Understand that Poe is the Godfather. We've come a long way, but it's my style to sustain respect for Originators (with a capital O).

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I know I'll get thrown out of the fraternity for saying this, but I enjoyed Mike Lupica's first Peter Finley novel, "Dead Air."

Not in the league with the greats mentioned here, of course, but a fun, quick read.

Seems to me I got a review copy of the second one, though, and didn't care for it that much.

3. He lost me when his Boston Irish hero called his father, "Pap."
    Nobody I ever knew, or was related to, called their father that. "Da," maybe. But "Pap"? Unless you're Huckleberry Finn, no.

4. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

My current favorites:

1. John Sandford.

2. Jonathan Kellerman.

3. Stephen Hunter.

4. James Patterson.

5. Michael Connolly.

6. Andrew Vachss.

Sandford's "Prey" series is terrific. I've torn through more than a couple of them in one sitting. I even tried a couple of them as audiobooks from iTunes, but that's a pricey way to go. After reading just a few, you start to feel you know Lucas Davenport, his cronies, adversaries and the Twin Cities ... and aside from a stopover at the airport, I've never been there. That's a testament to Sandford's storytelling skills.

Kellerman's Alex Delaware has made me appreciate Los Angeles as a setting for crime novels for the first time.

Hunter's former Marine sniper, Bob Lee Swagger, is a compelling character. I'm drawing a blank on the name of the movie, but Mark Wahlberg played Swagger a couple of years ago.

Patterson's Alex Cross has been played several times by Morgan Freeman.

Connolly's Harry Bosch series is a recent discovery for me. I've read two of them, and they've grown on me. Another L.A.-area protagonist.

Vachss is an interesting guy. He is an attorney who represents children and works on child protection cases, has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social services caseworker, a labor organizer and ran a maximum security prison for violent/aggressive youth ... all according to the bio on his Web site. His Burke character is a dark kind of anti-hero of the underground.

So ... yeah, I read a little in this genre.

But I resolved a couple of years ago to read as many of the "classics" as possible. The most recent was Norman Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead."

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Vachss' novels are probably the strangest, darkest things I've ever read. He's one seriously odd dude.

7. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Vachss is more social commentary than mystery.

He speaks a truth.

8. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Vachss is definitely a dark read. And his personal concerns do show up in the stories more (or at least are easier to spot) than other authors.

He seems like a serious crusader. And that's not all bad.

9. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

There is a trilogy called Berlin Noir, written by Philip Kerr. It is three novels whose main character is a former cop/private investigator, and the setting is Berlin in three different years: 1936, 1938 and 1947. They sell them in paperback in one volume. They're all good, and the last one is really good -- again, the atmospherics.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Oh I agree with that, JR. Le Carre's at the top, and Clancy's at the bottom. Besides his writing, his constant "good guy"--"bad guy" dichotomy is simply spurious.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is a great thread. Lots of stuff I haven't read and a couple of authors I've not heard of.

I had a period of about ten years where mysteries comprised about 50% of my reading.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sure, there's a lot of mediocre and relatively valueless mystery writing out there, but I sometimes think mystery writing gets short shrift. I think there's a lot of great writers out there, many who have been mentioned here, who just happen to write mysteries.

Draft saved Draft deleted