1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crime/mystery novels/novelists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 15, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: Crime/mystey novels/novelists

I looooved Connelly's "The Poet," but have been lukewarm on his Harry Bosch series. Just can't get into it. Now, the guy I can't get enough of is, like Connelly, one of us -- a journo. John Sandford (real name: John Camp), who is 18 books into his "Prey" series featuring Minnesota cop Lucas Davenport. Newest one just came out last week, and like all his others I bought it on day one and killed it off by day two. The sleuthing process is pretty well done throughout the series, with some memorable baddies. The cop-humor and character development are outstanding.

On the guilty pleasure side, I'm a fan of M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series -- a somewhat lazy constable in a small Scottish village. Great fun.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My mom and grandma loved mystery novels, so I grew up reading Agatha Christie and Martha Grimes. Those two will always be my favorites.

I am also partial to Mary Higgins Clark and Dick Francis.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Yes! Rankin is wonderful, as is Michael Connelly.
    I read way, way too much of this stuff ... as I get older, I'm weary of "serious" reading. Reginald Hill is a huge favorite, and another British author named Bill James (not the baseball guy).

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've got a book by a British journalist who traveled the US, meeting prominent crime writers in each city -- Hiaasen in Miami, Burke in New Orleans, etc. Each writer he meets gets a funny little grin and says "So... you meet Ellroy yet?"

Apparently the consensus among the crime writing community is that Ellroy is completely nuts.

5. Re: Crime/mystey novels/novelists

Donald J. Sobol!

[​IMG]

End of thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I see your Donald J. Sobol and raise you one F.W. Dixon.

Seriously, I've read all of Robert B. Parker's Spenser books, and he's been coasting plot-wise for a couple of decades, but he's still interesting.
    Second the nomination of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series. The guy really knows how to develop characters.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If we're going to discuss spy novelists, I'd just like to say while Clancy can spin a good yarn, he's no Le Carre. For that matter, he's no Forsyth or Ludlum, either.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did anyone mention the Travis McGee books by John D. McDonald?

Literary popcorn. Used to read a couple a day.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Forsyth and Ludlum aren't Le Carre either.

I can't read Clancy. Stilted prose doesn't begin to describe his style

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I enjoy Cain, Christie, Poe, Chandler, Ellroy and Chandler.
    I would like to throw out one more out there, lesser known, but an outstanding novelist: Steve Martini.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to get all historical here but The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, published in the late 1800's is considered the first English detective novel.

Very long and intricate--a lot of mystery buffs consider it the greatest mystery ever.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm big on Kellerman and also Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series.

Draft saved Draft deleted