1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cricket World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullrog, Mar 13, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The good thing about these matches are they are the one-day/50 overs a side versions.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love the internationals. You can really get into strategy in these one-day events (if they are two-innings) by electing to "follow on" — that is, bat immediately after your first innings and mount so many runs that it's next to impossible for the other side to come back. The other side can also try to force a draw by dilly-dallying about and not completing an innings before time expires.

Test matches are exactly that: testing. I suppose they would be somewhat akin to a long NBA or MLB playoff series.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Watching cricket highlights on Sky Sports News gives me an idea of what it must be like for an Indian or Egyptian to see baseball highlights. Totally confounding.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My biggest problem has always been figuring out the scoring. I understand wickets and outs and runs, but this thread has taught me what that 259/8 stuff means. Feels like an NBC PSA.[/themoreyouknow]

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If America played cricket, we would absolutely dominate the sport.

Imagine Nolan Ryan in his prime with a RUNNING START.

6. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

You have to throw the ball underhand in cricket.
    A year ago a bowler from India was caught bowling overhand and doctoring the ball. It was a pretty big scandal throughout the cricket community.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Actually, they bowl straight over the top ...

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And you don't get to flex your elbow. Has to be a straight arm, otherwise the umpire will call you for throwing.

I used to play with a guy in high school who had a highly suspect delivery action. We called him "Chucker".

9. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

I followed this alot during my spring break in England. Shame about the coach who was murdered. I'll be watching this to the end and trying to get my friends together for a little fun with the cricket set I brought brack from England.

10. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Aussies hit for 322 earlier with 158 from Hayden. West Indies to chase now, but I'm not sure that they have a prayer.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And it starts to rain. They'll finish up tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted