1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cricket World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullrog, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

**ducks for cover**

Anyone else following this?

It only happens once every four years, so I figure someone on here might be paying attention.

Today's match is the opening match - Pakistan vs. West Indies.
    West Indies is currently at 69/2, but they are already in the 22nd (of 50) over.
    Pakistan had a chance to catch-out to make it 7/2 early (which could have been a disaster for West Indies), but the fielder missed an easy catch.

Australia is the defending champ, and I fully expect them and India to meet in a rematch of the '03 finals.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You'd have to be pharmaceutically enhanced or galactically drunk to cover cricket.

That said, it'd be fun to see one of these matches simply because of the venues they're playing in this time.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Obviously, I'm following it, even though England's going to get killed once it has to play a real team.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I have no idea what you just said.

That said, I would love to learn more about cricket. I played rugby 06 just to learn about the sport. maybe EA has a cricket game?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember playing a game years ago, and I think there's an EA cricket game out there. Availablility may be tricky though.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I thought my croquet career was going to take off, then I realized those athletic scholarships were few and far between. Now I'm stuck writing.

7. statrat

statrat Member

EA does have a cricket game out. I picked one up when I was in the land down under a few years ago. Not sure if you can get it here. If you think mastering hitting in baseball video games is hard, it will probably only increase your frustration level.

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

All the matches in the World Cup are one-day internationals (meaning these aren't matches that can last for a few days).
    One-day internationals last for either 50 overs or 10 wickets.
    A wicket is obtained many ways, usually when either the batter swings and misses and the ball knocks the wicket, or a player is caught out (akin to a caught fly-ball in baseball).

West Indies finished with a final score today of 241/9, which means Pakistan must beat 241 to win today. The 9 refers to how many wickets they got. Since they didn't get to 10, that means they completed their 50 overs.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pakistan's wobbling a little bit at 23-2 after six overs. They'll need a bit of a stand here to put together an innings.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

According to EA, the cricket game only works on PS2s sold overseas. It won't work on the NTSC systems here in the States. (I e-mailed them a year or so ago looking to order the cricket game.)

It's a shame this isn't being televised in the US except for PPV. You'd think ESPN could put it on one of their networks. I know, what am I thinking expecting ESPN to actually show live sporting events instead of reruns of poker and 9-ball?

11. statrat

statrat Member

I bought the PC version, it seems to work regardless of what continent it is in. That doesn't do much to make the sport less dull. I wish ESPN would go back to showing Aussie rules though, that is one sport I miss.

12. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Is there a channel that ever shows Cricket matches. (We just got about 300 new channels) I have seen highlights on some fox channel but never the actual match. Ever since I read G.H. Hardy's "A Mathematician's Apology" I have wanted to watch a match. That and I will watch anything remotely associated with sports. My new favorite past time, getting drunk and watching Guts and Legends of the Hidden Temple on GAS.

Draft saved Draft deleted