1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cricket Has Arrived !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If the site were earnestly committed to storytelling, maybe it would have gone in this direction instead of another soft-shoe act.

http://www.outoftheashes.tv/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/blog/2010/jul/20/the-spin-afghanistan-film-cricket

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Team USA

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bump! England is in the process of finishing off an amazing 4-0 whitewash in the tests against India. Utterly dominating.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not at all. Once upon a time, maybe. And in Sri Lanka, maybe. But Sri Lanka are definitely a second-tier team most of the time and England, against all odds and most people's understanding of the world order, are very, very good at the moment.

Indeed, they're now No. 1 in the world in Test cricket, thanks to the third win in what is now on its way to being a 4-0 rout.

Whitewashing India is a bit like sweeping the Yankees in the World Series, to continue the American comparisons theme. :)

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A few months back on a Sunday morning, I was out running at a local park that has a track next to some soccer fields where some guys were playing cricket. The local population of Mexicans does the same thing with soccer.

After I finished I went over and sat down to watch. They invited me to join them, and after a few swings I was ripping line drives all over the place. These weren't high-level cricket players, just a bunch of transplants who get together to play their favored sport sandlot style. It was fun, and I felt like Babe Ruth during his visit to London.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That does sound like fun :) But a good, hard ground ball is generally preferable to a line drive.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing a cricket rule or something, but my line drives were going over everyone there. Not to brag or anything. I'm of the school of thought, "hit it hard and good things will happen." These blokes weren't wearing gloves. If they want to step in front of a liner, be my guest.

FWIW, that bat has a weird center of balance. If you're used to swinging a baseball bat, it takes some getting used to.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

And it wasn't very high four years ago.

Quite the accomplishment for England in cricket, though all my Indian friends are confident they'll strike back in the ODIs. Doubtful with the way they've been playing, though.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Friend of mine was a fairly high-level cricketer. He maintained that baseball fielders were pussies for wearing big gloves. That started me thinking -- wonder if a fielder COULD make it in the outfield without a glove?

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted