1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crick in my neck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I'd search for this thread but I'd rather go search for some Advil or something. Apparently when I got married at the ripe old age of 22 I aged 50 years. Or maybe it's the loads of interviews I'm starting to do on my cell phone.

Either way, interviewing people while typing out notes and talking into the phone that I've got stuck between my shoulder and ear, courtesy my dislocated neck, hurts. I need some type of headset to use, but I don't feel like spending much money. What should I get?

Thanks.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Get one of those phone pads. Mine works wonders. It sticks to the phone.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Offbeat suggestion, but ask your HR department if they can provide you with a headset. Quite often, and especially more so these days, companies are being accommodating when it comes to ergonomics in office equipment -- desks, chairs, phones, etc. It's the fear of a disability suit.

The last two papers I worked at -- neither of which was exactly considered to have loose pocketbooks -- would gladly spring for this kind of stuff, if there's a legitimate medical/comfort need. Even my wife's paper, which is neither of the two that I mentioned, will do the same if asked.

Bottom line: It can't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I'm glad you posted this because I've also been recently wondering about getting something like that. I would feel like a tele-marketer but it would be a lot easier to type the quotes.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Um, my HR department is kind of myself. Or maybe my wife's--and mine, now, I suppose--Jack Russell Terrier. I'm a freelancer. He sits at home with me all day. Name's Cooper.

Anyway, that was a good suggestion.

Maybe one of the newspapers or magazines I'm writing for could hook me up. [/tongueincheek]

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This sounds really stupid, but I'm also very proud of having thought of it.

My cell phone is a thin piece of work, and it too gives me neck cramps. What I actually have is a foam stress-reliever, the ones you squeeze in your hands, and it's a perfect square. I rest the phone on that, as it's sticky enough, and put both to my ear.

Ta-da. Less pain.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

We're going to find out someday cellphones are the cause of brain tumors and neuorological problems. Save this post and credit Fredrick when this is proven true down the line. Beware folks. Cut back on your cell usage a bit.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Also much more expensive.

And Frederick, true post, but um, kinda why they're called phone interviews.

9. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Recently bought an Olympus mini-telerecorder device thingy, or whatever they call it, for about $23 at Radio Shack. Works great, no cricks.

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Went to Staples tonight, got this.

[​IMG]

http://www.staples.com/GE-VoIP-All-in-One-Foldable-Headset/product_788621?cmArea=SC3:CG14:DP2253:CL164426

Not only does it (do they?) work excellently, but is (are?) quite stylish.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If all you need is something to put in your ear so you're not cricking your neck, it won't even cost you $20.

$15 for this one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bluetooth&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=6873016808028609605&sa=title#p

$13.99 for this one: http://bit.ly/ca1oq

$10 for this one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bluetooth&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=9914076354803987011&sa=title#p

There's plenty more like 'em, too.

(And by the way, the TP-7 adapter works fine with a Bluetooth, I've found. You can record straight from your cell phone without even using your hands.)

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Cool. Although, I actually bought one of those Motorolas back in the day, and tried a fancier Jabra than that one. It was probably just me, but I just couldn't hear through them all that great and the people on the other end struggled to hear me.

And I've got some earbud thing that I can hook to my recorder, so I wanted something that would fit over my ear rather than wearing like earbuds.

Thanks again for the help, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted