1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cribbage -- the adventure continues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Nov 10, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Got out the ancient computer game tonight.

Did OK, although I was a little rusty on the computer's tricks. I did steal one game, though, after trailing the whole way.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

My dad and brothers love the game. I never played. Don't understand it.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Learning it can be a bitch. The computer is very unforgiving, so the first couple of matches were not good.

You just have to condition yourself to compromise between keeping a good hand for yourself and giving your opponent opportunities.

The computer still nails me in the course of open play, but I generally build better hands.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Also, don't try to learn at Yahoo or the other game sites. People set asinine time limits for playing a card.

The person who created the version I use said anyone who's over .500 against the computer after 100 games should write him. I think he may have an inflated opinion because I'm running above .500, and I'm sure expert players could do the same. I even have a small lead in total points, and that's after getting absolutely pasted when I was learning the game.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great game.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Cribbage is one of my favorite card games (maybe it's a Wisconsin thing). My grandma taught me how to play when I was young. My friends and I were on a getaway a lake cabin in northern Minnesota last summer and spent hours sitting on the deck, drinking beers, bullshitting and playing cribbage. That was a good day.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Played cribbage with my mother every damn night for a year when I was in about the 8th grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted