1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creed is good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think "Balboa" may be a tad bit overrated because pretty much everybody expected it to be a complete fiasco, and then, "Hmmm ... gee ... this isn't really that bad ... hey wait, it's actually pretty good."

Not a work of art for the ages, but certainly good enough to wash away the stench of Rocky V.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Right because Stallone at 69 looks just like Meredith at 69.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stapp is a bit confused about the movie.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The cool kidz at the AV Club liked it as well. Gave it a B+ and they tend to hate everything.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well good to see Scott not all crazy and drugged up like the last time we checked in with him.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Took longer than I expected for the reference, but thanks! :)

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

How do they explain Creeds kid? Seeing as Apolo died minimum 30 years ago and 30s not much of an age for a up and coming boxer

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He knocked up a mistress shortly before his death.

(Although that kind of retroactively smears his nice-guy image.)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think that's the sort of thing you can just let slide unless you just really don't want to like the movie.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think the actual time matters all that much.

There were three years between Rocky I and II. But in movie time events flowed as if there was no gap. The fighters healed, then had a rematch a few months later.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Up until Rocky V, I think the events are supposed to be more or less in real time.
    The first Balboa-Creed fight was Jan. 1, 1976 and the rematch was in October 1976 (Stu Nahan makes a reference to the first fight being "10 months ago").
    Rocky wins and has 10 title defenses, so if he's fighting two or three times a year that puts Rocky III around 1982, when it came out. The second fight with Clubber Lang would probably be late 1983 and the Creed-Drago fight late in '83 or early '84. That sets up the Rocky-Drago fight for Christmas 1984. Rocky IV came out in late November '85, so if you stretch things out a hair then Rocky-Drago could be Christmas '85.
    Going further, Rocky V starts right after the Drago fight and then Tommy Gunn has a bunch of fights (I think it's 10-12) before the end of the movie. So it's likely that the end of Rocky V is around Christmas 1990 when the movie came out.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, how do they explain how Rocky hurt his eye in the first fight, has the operation, is told he could go blind if he fights again, fights anyways, beats Creed in spite of Adrian's initial misgivings.

Then, Adrian is totally silent about the eye as Rocky then has 10 title defenses, gets KOed by Clubber, beats Clubber, then beats Drago. 13 fights, and not a word about the eye.

And don't get me started on how he sucks at commercials in the second movie, does American Express and other commercials in the third movie, then says he's "not a commercial-type of guy," in the fifth movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted