1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creditors Hate Christian Laettner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 7, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They really need to teach finance to the Duke basketball players.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Before I click the link, I am wagering $10 (but am taking no action from anyone) that the phrase "limited partnership" appears somewhere in that story.

EDIT: Oh well, I owe myself $10. Usually you read about these professional athletes getting mixed up in limited partnerships that turn out to not be so limited. That's what happened to Mark Brunell, I think.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does this combo validate your bet?

The creditors and the amounts they say they are owed are:

_National Servicing & Administration, a limited liability corporation based in Minnesota, where Laettner played for the Timberwolves in the NBA: $7,321,230

The three-phase project was developed by a partnership that was led by Laettner, his former Duke teammate Brian Davis, and Tom Niemann, a Duke business school graduate.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. Can't tell whether Laettner was, or thought he was, the limited partner or not.

The athletes I was thinking of, usually they go in thinking they're limited partners but then find out they're not nearly as limited as they thought. Like, maybe, they signed on to be $25M limited partners but were required to pony up only $5M only to later profess shock that they're still on the hook for $20M. Then there are those limited partnerships that, surprise, surprise, surprise, turn out to NOT be limited partnerships.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted