1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crediting the defense

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'll always ask a running back about his linemen if he has a big day, and more often than not, he'll give them their kudos, maybe even mentioning them by name. Unless he's Boobie Miles.

As far as the soccer defense, I'll ask the coach about who stood out, and then just attribute it to him: Podunk High held Podunk Tech to just three shots, with sweeper Jane Doe shining on the back line, coach Jones said.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been there, done that Gator ... and more often than not, the big running star will spread the love without being prompted. Just been my week for crybaby parents, I think, which is why it came to mind.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Most times, a winning tailback or QB will make it a point to praise his line. If I can, I like to quote the big guys because they often have a unique perspective on the game. In soccer, if it's a game I'm covering, I like to ID the winning team's best defender and get a comment. I've usually found that a keeper is only as good as the three (or four) players on the back line. In a call-in situation, you take what you can get.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I remember how I handled soccer matches correctly, I'd usually try to get a defender and midfielder in addition to any goalscorers. They'd usually give me something I could use to write about different aspects besides who scored.

When I covered D.C. United, I usually found their goalkeeper at the time made the same observations about the game I did. I wouldn't lead him into saying it; he'd usually say it in the course of an interview. So I often used him too.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a fairly laid back question...I wouldn't get too paranoid about it.

I do try to make note of missed chances and big defensive plays...it's not uncommon to see a defender rush in and block a shot and boot the ball away from an open net.

As far as call-ins...I send out a preseason e-mail/letter to our varsity coaches explaining what I'm looking for along with a sample wrap-up. Most coaches know to report goal scorers and such, but I make a note of asking for defensive highlights or how many saves a goalie makes. I'd say about half my coaches (of the ones that bother to call in) include that info for me now.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On a call in, it's not a bad idea to ask the coach about defense if it's a low-scoring game and you would have room to run it. If the coach wants to say that Pete Podunk did a great job at sweeper, why not run it?

I am sure it would make the kids day.

As the parent of a kid who plays the line in youth football, you realize the linemen will get no glory. But it's funny that these poor kids are up there smacking someone every play and our own parents think nothing of yelling at the line to block throughout the game.

But when a QB throws a bad pass, receiver drops a ball or RB slips no one yells that they need to run, pass or throw better.

Rant over.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The object is winning the game, and you do that with offense. Period. If someone on defense makes a game-saving play, and we see it or the coach reports it, we include it.

Otherwise, no one cares outside the parents. Everyone wants to know who scored.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Amen. I usually ask the coaches afterwards who they would like to highlight or if they thought their defense/keeper had a good game but without some sort of game action to back it up (such as the sweeper clearing a cross, etc.), often it never sees the paper unless the coaches start specifically mentioning people.

I had an *incensed* parent earlier this year who not only e-mailed me, but bitched the coach out as well because the coach mentioned only three people on defense and left his precious daughter out. I've only been covering soccer two seasons. I barely know the positions and what they do. Give me a break, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted