1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit where credit is due.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jan 17, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked Albom's column today.
    Now, maybe I liked it because Webber's a more miserable fuck of a human being than Albom, but I liked it.

Now comes the caveat.
    Would Albom have written this column if he hadn't got completely flamed on the Fab Five book? Did he write this because he truly believes it or is it payback for fooling him?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070117/COL01/701170369

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Did Mitch ever apologize to his readers for snowing them with his book and his columns? I can't believe he still included that line about the jersey, praising Webber's honesty at the time, even though it's basically a lie. (Basically in that he was getting paid outside of the system while the system was making money off him; he still had a valid point)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Oh. my. god.

Slappy praises Albom a day after I praise a TJ piece.

Well, gang, been nice knowing all of you. Hope we can see each other again in the afterlife somewhere. There is no doubt the world will end today.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but if Boom comes out and says he liked a Loopy column, I'm going to start looking around for cracks in the earth...

But again, was this valid criticism by Albom or payback for making him look bad from his college days...

6. It's valid criticism if someone other than Albom writes it.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

I think Albom is just setting it up so he can write the tell-all C-Web story in about a year or so.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is as close to he'll ever get to kicking an athlete when he's in town and not going anywhere.
    Usually, he waits until he's out of town or on the way out (re: Scott Mitchell).

This was posted (no, not me) on the freep website on a comment after Albom's column... and it's pretty harsh...

Subject: a reader comments on mitch's story about c-webb

mongoose527

I'm a huge Michigan fan and I lost pretty much any respect for Webber back when all of his "issues" came to light. That being said Mitch, I think you are a terrible journalist...and an incredible hypocrite.

"Instead, he sadly leaves many questions unanswered -- questions about the alleged $280,000 Ed Martin gave him over the years, about lying to a grand jury. These are not niggling details. They cost people a lot. No, Chris isn't the only player involved. But he's the bull in the china shop. He can't pretend there aren't broken dishes all over the floor."

What about YOUR broken dishes, Mitch? Have you forgotten that you were CAUGHT filing reports that implied that you were actually at games that you never attended????? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Yet when another reporter trys to ask YOU a question on your radio show about YOUR lying, you cut him off and lie AGAIN, saying that you "lost" the caller. You are a spineless little bitch, Albom. You should feel very lucky that your employer is just as spineless and let you off the hook without so much as a slap on the wrist, whereas other journalists have been fired for pulling the very same stunt that you did. How anyone can think that you have any shred of journalistic integrity left is beyond me. Here's another thing that I've been wondering: Why do ALL of your insipid articles revolve around you? EVERY damn thing you write these days focuses on you rather than the subject you are supposedly covering. You couldn't have a bigger ego if you tried. Why is that? Is it some sort of Napoleanic complex? Is it because you're such a little guy and it makes you feel bigger to go after other people for their problems? Are you trying to hide something with your simplistic writing just like you try to hide your goofy ears with that helmet of hair on your head? Maybe you stick to books....wait a mintue, those suck too.

Draft saved Draft deleted