1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 14, 2010.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i have a marriott card that i put a lot of my purchases on. We've used the points to stay at some sweet properties that i couldn't afford otherwise. I almost always pay off the entire balance at the end of the month.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Smart man. I don't care what anyone says about you.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Chase, in my book, is evil.

I had to use credit cards for everything a while back when I was unemployed. Not something I wanted to do, but kids have to eat. But I also never missed a payment. But of course, after becoming employed, it's time to pay the cards off.

I had two cards with them. A couple months ago, I was five days late on a payment on one (my mistake, I spaced it out), they closed the account. This was the same card they jacked me around by changing the due date on the stupid thing several times a couple years back.

Anyways, last month, I paid off both cards. In full.

My thanks? The other card, which I NEVER had missed the payment and in fact, made it early and more than the minimum, had the limit reduced from $6,000 to $600. And, to top it off, they sent me a bill for each account, charging me another round of interest.

I called, not happy, they removed the interest charges, and I canceled the other card and told her I would not do business with a corporation which treats its customers so shabbily.

I truly doubt they care.

And I'm glad I'm now in a position that I don't need the damn things anymore.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rosie, Don't know if you saw my post about Chase above. But they basically made me a stupid offer that I saw an angle for exploiting. They gave me a deal of "max out your card and pay 2.99 percent for life; no fee on the card." It's not like I looked for this deal. They barraged me with mailings making the offer -- begging me to take it. Even sent me checks to draw right from the card. No fees. Just take the money, make minimum payments of 2 percent of the remaining balance each month, and the APR was 2.99 percent for the life of the loan. It was clearly stated in the offer I signed on for. And my credit limit was pretty high on the card, so it was enough money to play with (I do some trading).

I made the minimum payments on the thing and stretched it out as long as possible, because it was free money. It was easy leverage. Even if I didn't trade aggressively, it's wasn't that hard for me to earn greater than a 3 percent return on the money, mostly just buying and selling currencies (something I do) on weakness or strength. So they basically gave me free money for a little bit of work.

After the financial meltdown, they were looking for ways to get out from customers like me and just up and changed the rules. Whatever the legalities (and I am not sure I understand all the fine print), they clearly reneged on a promise. The offer they made me was 2.99 percent for life, no fees on the card, and minimum payments that were 2 percent of the balance. I kept that deal for about 2 years and just rode it happily. When they changed the rules, they upped the minimum payments to 5 percent of the balance (to force me to pay them back faster) and unilaterally imposed a $10 per month fee on the card ($120 a year), effectively changing 2.99 percent for life to a higher rate through that fee. It was a clear reneging.

I don't want a thing from Chase. I just paid them back, got a manager on the phone and in a slip up, even she admitted that I got the better of them and was being punished for it. She realized she had misspoken too and tried to backtrack.

I heard they later did away with the $10 per month fee when they saw that it somehow made them legally vulnerable, but it was after they told me i was getting hit with it and I paid them back to avoid it and closed the account. So if I wanted to sue for deceptive practices, I might be able to prove harm. I had no desire. But they are now faced with class action lawsuits over this, because there were several thousand customers like me and a few of them didn't just let it go. If you Google it, it caused quite a stir.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I wouldn't say you took advantage, Ragu, I'd Chase was stupid to put an offer out there before not fully evaluating the offer they were putting out there. I also would say Chase underestimated the intelligence of their customer base.

I absolutely abhor organizations like Chase. Their "you're a valued customer" is nothing but empty words. Why is it so hard for companies, especially these larger corporations, to realize that customer service matters and that customers should be treated well. It shouldn't be that hard and dammit, it's the right thing to do!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I get along quite nicely without a credit card, but it distresses me that there are places and services where they require a deposit but don't enjoy having to take cash for the deposit when what they really want is a valid credit card number.

There seems to be little or no incentive to be financially responsible - and what is more financially responsible than not owning/using a credit card at all? It's just pathetic.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've gone to Men's Wearhouse a number of times when suit shopping and always end up going elsewhere. Prices usually aren't as good as they'd have you think, plus the sales approach is off-putting -- I always feel pressure to buy way more than I want to. Macy's is great when you keep an eye out for sales (why anyone ever pays full price at Macy's is a mystery to me) and Nordstrom Rack is also good.

Back to credit cards: If you're looking for low rates, credit unions are hard to beat. Mine offers a Visa with a 7.9 percent rate and no fees for balance transfers. For a card for actually buying things, find something with rewards you like. We charge pretty much everything on an airline-miles Visa.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Like when I went to rent a rental card, but because I had a debit card and not a credit card, they made me put down a huge deposit on my debit card while I had the card?

The only reason why they didn't get a total earful was because I was under 25 at the time and they were one of the few rental car agencies who would rent to me.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

If you use a debit card for a rental car, they almost always put a hold of several hundred dollars on your checking account even if your bill is going to be far less. It's unreal. Some hotels are starting to do this too.

10. Because you can't fucking buy anything with their god damn coupons!!!!!!!

11. Still 7.9% on my card. Rack me.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For anyone who was bitching about Chase (including me). Apparently Karma doesn't work, because JP Morgan Chase reported $3.3 billion in profits for the last three months of 2009 and $11.7 billion in profits for the year. Their credit card practices weren't what earned them all that money though. It was primarily investment banking.

Draft saved Draft deleted