1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 14, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For how long? Because the similar deal I got with Chase jumped through the roof - despite never once being late or over the limit.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's much better to just use the debit card. That way you are spending money you HAVE, instead of money you DON'T HAVE.

I even just run the card as a credit card, so I don't have to punch a pin number. And I have rewards on my debit card too.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Since my father was military, I have an account with USAA. Their card is phenomenal. 8.9 percent with cash rewards, impeccable customer service, and no minimum payments.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Two friends of mine have suggested taking out a loan through a bank, paying off the remainder of the balance on the old one and open a new one. The bank - besides wanting my business - would have a lower percentage rate to pay it off (certainly lower than 25.99 percent.)

Gotta say, this sounds pretty good.

The credit card through my credit union is 10.5 percent through 13.8 percent, which also sounds pretty good.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My father keeps telling me I should do the same thing.

He uses his AMEX for everything. His household bills like electricity and cable are automatically charged to it. He says it's great because 1) he only has to actually pay one bill per month and 2) he's on some hellacious reward plan (Platinum Rewards, I think).

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

About a year and a half. What I do with my credit card is put a couple of purchases on a month and paying them all off at the end of the month.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

good advice. i have visa, american express and discover. i use discover as much as possible and pay it off every month because you get cash back.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've paid off all my credit cards and use one for gas that I pay in full every month.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My Citi card didn't get cranked up like everyone else's did, but I recently got a new Macy's card when I purchased a bunch of suits for my new job and the APR is an outrageous 24.9 percent.

That figure is really meaningless to me, because I don't put anything on my card that I can't pay off, so it won't matter. They did try to screw me by charging me interest on the balance though from the day I opened the account. I called and complained about it and they ended up changing the terms or at least told me they did. They credited the account so now I have a credit. I'll probably use the card once more to get my money back and never purchase anything again.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I use my credit card because I won't have to pay it for like 40 days or so after the purchase. With debit, I have to pay for it next day. I mean I can always cover it, but I like not having to pay for a while. Let the company pay the interest. For example, my statement came in today. The gas I got yesterday did not come up on the statement. It will come up on the next one which won't come out until February 14. It won't be due until March 6.

So basically I won't have to pay for the gas for 50 days.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get suits from someplace like Men's Wearhouse, instead of Macy's?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It depends on what you are looking for. When I bought my suits a few weeks ago, everything at Men's Warehouse on sale, but not really. The prices were marked up like crazy. And everything at Macy's was slashed to the bone for after Christmas sales. I opened the CC account and saved another 20 percent.

The last time I bought a suit though, I got one on sale at Men's Warehouse for a good price. But for the most part, the same suit will cost roughly the same price at Macy's and the warehouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted