1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit card thievery!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, Feb 13, 2009.

1. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

So I was glancing at my online credit card statement today when i noticed a handful of charges that were not mine, several of which were for credit-report monitoring services. After doing the usual cancel/replace deal with the credit-card company (and also refunding the charges to me), i decided to call the monitoring companies themselves to make sure no deeper identity theft was going on.

Through those conversations, I learned that both credit reports were for the same person (not me, thankfully), and I got his name and DOB from the second company. Through that, I was able to work a little amateur online sleuthing into knowing where he lives, his phone number, etc.

I also filed a police report that will probably end up containing more information from my amateur sleuthing than any professional police work when it's all said and done. Just wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on what to do in this situation.

And, as a time-saver, I will tell you in advance that the man in question lives too far away for me to conveniently upper-deck him.

Also I'm wondering if I should call the dude in case he's not the one who requested the reports but is himself a victim of identity theft with the real criminals, whoever they might be, simply using my card number to hack his info.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So someone got your credit card number and used it to pay to check your credit report?

Is that common?

Were they trying to see if they could find other cards of yours on there?

That's kind of scary.
  3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

They actually used it to check someone else's credit report, apparently. With two different companies, but one gave me a name and DOB and the other gave me initials and DOB and they matched.
  4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I hope you don't get completely bent over.

And good work using a question everybody should be capable of asking: WTF happened?
Draft saved Draft deleted