1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit card help/relief type services

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you buy the debt for a $1,000 and then let person payout for $1,000 or less you'd be a poor businessman.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/first-citywide-change-bank/229045/

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Looks like canceling a card doesn't hurt credit ratings as much as is assumed:

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/go-cancel-your-credit-card-the-score-ding-is-minimal.html

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Closing the card may not hurt if you have no other balances but the higher the percentage of credit limit used, the lower your score.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing is, most people in a bad credit card situation are not really that worried about "hurting their credit" anymore.

They're just trying to get payments/amounts owed down to something they can live with and afford...whatever that means to that person.

They're just trying to get it so that, you know, they are not using almost all of their income every month just to pay off credit cards and their insane interest.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just curious, if you were going to try and secure a loan why would a credit union be a better than a regular bank?

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Interest rates and customer service. The last time we financed a car, for instance, our credit union's interest rate was almost 3 percent less than our bank.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But with credit as tight as it is right now is a CU going to be any more likely to work with you on a loan than a bank would be?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Credit unions are ALWAYS better than banks. Credit Unions are not for profit and therefore do not have to gouge the customer to line shareholders' pockets.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They might be more likely to, especially if it's a credit union where you have to qualify for membership -- we belong to a teachers' credit union, and even though teachers don't make any money they're good credit risks. :)

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Let me clarify. I never said the bank was in the wrong. I recorded it in my personal ledger, which as I said before is meaninless since I could have put that entry in at anytime.

For whatever reason, the online payment just didn't go through. I was on the website, knew my exact balance, how much room was going to be on the card after the payment and thought I submitted the payment. I pay four credit cards every month at the same time and haven't had a problem in at least three (I really think four) years -- and it was with the same card. I just didn't realize that it didn't go through.

My payment jumped from $34 to $117. They didn't cut me any slack, which is their business and why they no longer have mine.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Small bump.

My aunt got wind of my story and has offered to pay off the card (I'll pay her back at the same rate I was paying the card off).

This could mean two good things:

1. Those fuckers aren't getting a penny of interest from me.

2. My credit might not take as big of hit as I thought it would. Is it possible that by the time the creditors get a hold of this my zero balance hold some type of weight? Or is it my balance at the second I paid off the card?

Draft saved Draft deleted