1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit card help/relief type services

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good. They can
    Good. Then they shouldn't be able to report anything negative on your credit report. If they do fight them through the CRAs.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In general, the debt relief organizations are scams, with one exception: Consumer Credit Counseling Service. (cccs.org) They're recommended by Clark Howard (a consumer advocate who also provides good information on handling credit -- clarkhoward.com) and they have debt-management plans and do financial reviews with their clients to help them get on the right track. The DMP is helpful -- your payment is consolidated and they disburse the funds to your creditors, with whom they negotiate reduced rates and fees, and the payment is usually a fraction of what you'd be paying if you just paid your minimum payments every month. Your credit may take a hit, but it's not as severe as the hit you'd take if you just keep falling further and further behind.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Thanks. I'm still pretty pissed. It's the second time it's happened. I go online, think that I paid the bill, record it in my ledger then -- bam -- a month later there's a late fee. The first was three or four years ago. Time to cut the card.

I took on a second job (well I got my old job at my paper back) and my entire salary goes to paying off credit cards. I'm in a really good place right now. I've paid off three, this will be my fourth. It doesn't matter that I can't use the card agian; at least I'm getting myself out of debt.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did you pay it online through the card's website or did you use online banking? Do you have a receipt showing it was paid when you paid it?

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

No. The payment never went through and I just didn't realize it. I recorded it in my ledger, but doesn't mean anything.

I pay four credit cards online every month. It's become so repetitive that this just fell through the cracks.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Priorities, dude. Everyone has different priorities. Maybe RickStain prefers supporting his family to going out and spending money on other things like expensive cars or meals.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cool, but his waving that around and lecturing people is just as bad as someone coming on here bragging about dropping $600 dor dinner at Primo Podunk and driving a tricked out Hummer.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think RickStain is really Spock. I like reading his posts, but it can get frustrating.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My Hummer has spinners by the way.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So the payment wasn't made and the bank is in the wrong? I understand that late payments are high but failure to pay is failure to pay whether it was a computer clitch or the dog ate my bill excuse.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Be careful some of these debt restructuring outfits are actually debt collectors who will buy your credit card debt from the company for nickles or dimes on the dollar. For instance if a credit card company is ready to give up on collecting a $10,000 bill from you, they'll sell the debt to a debt collector for $1,000 (or less), write off the loss on their books and then the debt collector says you can pay off the $10,000 debt for just $1,000 (or a lesser amount).
    If you're looking to them for restructuring, the same process applies, except the credit card company might let the debt go for 25 cents on the dollar instead of a nickel or dime.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You miss the point - the point is his approach to giving advice, not his actual advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted