1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credit card companies: Penalties after the fact

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CM Punk, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If you are shorting a payment and getting a rolling late your credit rating is going to go into the crapper.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can reserve a hotel room without a credit card?

And I count a debit card same as a credit. Most function as both and if you spend too much you get whacked with fees even if it has an automatic overdraft protection.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can't just jump into a conversation and start defining words however you please and expect people to understand what you are saying :) Debit and credit cards are not the same thing.

You can reserve a hotel room without a credit card most of the time. It will usually involve calling management ahead of time and letting them know you intend to pay with cash or sending a check in advance.

If you are worried about spending too much, you can get a prepaid debit card for a very small fee.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, call ahead and say that you will be paying with a purchase order.
    It doesn't happen much anymore, but most places will still take it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Though I agree banks are evil, I just don't understand how people can get by without a credit card.

(And I count debits the same because every time you use it they ask debit or credit. They never ask debit or debit!!!!)

6. RickStain

The only hard one is renting a car. A few places will do it with a large cash deposit and lots of paperwork, but not many.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you don't have a credit card?

8. RickStain

I have a prepaid debit card that I use, but before that I went about a year without any sort of card.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool. But to me the ideal is to have one and pay it off every month.

10. RickStain

Everyone has that idea. Many people fail.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Three credit cards, use one most of the time, and never failed.

12. RickStain

Then you would fall in the "everybody" but not in the "many." I wish I had a Venn Diagram generator on hand to illustrate this point :)

Draft saved Draft deleted