1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credentials for people who don't deserve them

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Didn't an editor in California pull this stunt with the Final Four back in April?  There was a thread about it.

What the guy did came out, there were articles written about it... And I can't remember if he was fired or reprimanded.

I think some people chimed in to say the guy had previously worked in Michigan ??

Anyway, it was embarrassing for the paper when the story came out.

----------------------------

Here we go, I found it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/26173/

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe this isn't about Norm MacLean.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing was said about free food. Therefore...

4. House

House Guest

Situation happened like this in my college:

The editor got credentials for him and his girlfriend to go to the Div. I-A conference men's hoops tournament. As we weren't the main campus paper, but an alt-news Web site started by the J-school, these credentials were a major score for us. First time we had gotten approved for anything this big.

Now, the editor had at one point been sports editor, so that was not a problem. However, he tried to screw the current sports editor by getting his girlfriend a pass. He claimed that she could shoot photos, but had no experience as a photographer.

The bitch even had the balls to ask the photojournalims professor to borrow the department's $3,000 digital camera. She got a $5 disposable and said no fucking way. The prof. said tough shit. The sports editor threatened to quit, then the advisor finally stepped in and got the pass to the sports editor.

After that, nobody listened to anything the editor had to say because the whole affair wasn't swept under the rug by any means.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I won' tell ya'll about a major golf tournament, a now-retired publisher and credentials.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hi, My name's Red. And in here, I'm known as the guy who can get it for you. Masters badges? Gonna cost you 12 cartons of Lucky Strikes, but it's doable. Packers' season tickets? You'd better just bring me my own damn tobacco farm. Royals' tickets? You'll be anteing up the Luckies just to get out of Kaufman Stadium before the fourth inning. I'll get those to you for free. Just look in the Dumas novel when Brooks pushes the library cart by your cell.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Amazing that people we work wih don't even get it. I mean I'm used to it when a friend or family member asks, can't you just use your press pass to get it and I have to explain.  They usually understand it pretty quickly.

But when the high ups don't get it, the paper is in trouble. Go up to the entertainment editor, when the main guy is listening and ask, Hey I hear Barbara Streisand is coming to town (must use well known name, boss would recognize...as Cold Play might do nothing for him)...can you get me and my wife credentials?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many of those requests come at the last minute, the day before the event, too. A few years ago, I had a co-worker ask if he could get a credential for a fight the day before the fight, in other words, after the deadline for credential requests.
    Way to put me on the spot.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There's a word for people who don't deserve credentials ....

BLOGGERS!!!!

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'd give Baron Von Raschke credentials to anything he wanted.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

My SE got credentials for a NASCAR race for his sister-in-law. She had the same last name as him. And the track is in our backyard, so they can see that her name is never in a byline. Same SE also asked me to give my credentials to a friend of his so the friend could attend the race on a day I was stuck on the desk. I was new and foolish and gave them up. Never again. If the friend fucks up I never get credentials to a NASCAR event again.

12. Our (previous) publisher pulled this shit all of the time.
    Course, he was the same guy who referred to newspaper content as "the crap around his ads."
    He had no qualms about getting himself and his father passes to everything from the state high school tournaments, bowl credentials and PGA golf passes.
    He has moved on - Some other SE's problem now.

Draft saved Draft deleted